Chapter 7: Follow the Leader

Recap: Brandon found out where agent Corrales, one of the people after him from EDI, was meeting his wife for coffee. Rather than confront Corrales, Brandon decided to mess with his head, and it worked. Corrales’ wife drove off in a rage, and Corrales phoned someone and ordered them to move up a schedule. So what to do next…

Winning Choice: Follow Corrales and see where he goes. He could lead me right to the heart of things but I’ll be going in blind, which could get risky...

Corrales steps back against the coffee shop for a moment, still scanning the sky. It’s tempting to poke him again, but judging from how wound up he looks I think I’ve been pretty effective getting under his skin. 

He paces back and forth, rubbing his chin, and looking off in the direction his wife drove away. Finally he appears to reach a decision as he stops, turns, and strides into the parking lot with a purpose.

Cutting through the rows of cars, he reaches into his pocket and a silver Lexus chirps in response. Corrales slips inside and speeds out of the lot, tires screeching loud enough to draw glances from people still inside the coffee shop.

“He drives a Lexus,” I tell Tyler. “Being a secret government agent must pay pretty well.”

“There’s probably all kinds of perks,” Tyler replies. “You’re going after him?”

“You better believe it,” I reply, rising into the air.

“So you’re going in costume!” Tyler replies, excited. I pause, hovering twenty feet above the ground.

“Uh… if I lose my normal clothes and go in costume, what if I have to  blend in wherever he’s headed?”

“Spider-Man sometimes hides his street clothes around town in web pouches when he has to change. And the Flash keeps his costume compressed in a ring. And-“ He stops abruptly as I hear what sounds like someone smacking him in the back of the head. I’m guessing Susan.

“I’ll lose him if I have to hear the full comic book history of options. I’m going after him as-is and we can talk web pouches and magic rings later.”

“The Flash’s ring isn’t magic,” he begins, but then shuts up after I hear another smack.

Shooting up in the air, I quickly spy the Lexus. Corrales is moving across town in a big hurry but he’s not running lights or going nuts. He’s probably going as fast as he can without drawing the attention of the local police, which would just slow him down. 

I follow him high enough that even if someone saw me overhead they couldn’t recognize my face - if I even looked like person at all at this height. It’s also easy to see why people never escape police helicopters in pursuits on TV. There’s nowhere to hide from up here. Keeping an eye on a speeding car would be tough on the ground, but it’s a piece of cake from the sky.

Corrales finally screeches to a stop in front of a set of townhouses. They’re all thin, three-stories high, and lined up like books on a shelf. Corrales runs into one and I read the address on the front door back to Tyler.

“That’s not mentioned in his personal records at all. Must be paid for by EDI,” he tells me.

“Our tax dollars at work,” I say.

“You going in?” he asks.

“I’m not sure,” I reply, hovering a few stories overhead. “He’s parked pretty sloppily. I think he’s coming right back out.”

“Maybe it’s not his place at all,” Tyler points out. “You could drop a tracer on the car and go in if he leaves.”

“I have tracers?”