Chapter XI (edited)

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I didn't intend for this chapter to end up the way it would, but it did, and I'm not disappointed. What was planned for it can wait until chapter twelve. There's no hurry. Dedicated to AcidCherry, as she seems to be upset about something.

When the first cool fingers of light steal into my chamber the following morn, I have but one intention in mind. Mia is not amongst the maids who come to help me prepare for the day ahead. When I ask after her they shake their beautiful heads sadly, and tell me that she cannot come, that she is busy. I do not insist. Mayhaps I can enquire after her when I breakfast with Cassiel and Titus later. She is not of any real importance.

The meal laid out upon the long, shining table is as indulgent and appetizing as the previous night, yet I do not fall upon with the same eagerness. Titus carefully ignores me as we eat, studiously peeling a ripe peach with far more care than necessary. He is utterly engrossed in his work, meticulous and calculated, yet when the juice dribbles down his long, skillful fingers he does pause to dispel it. Cassiel joins us just as I am finishing the remains of my meagre breakfast. Titus rises as she enters, intent upon avoiding her presence.

“Titus.” Cassiel’s voice rings out like a bell. “Surely not? After all this time can you truly not bear to sit in the same room as me? Am I that unforgivable? Please, sit, and we will discuss the issue at hand in civil manner.”

Titus nods curtly, but I see him shoot her look of pure loathing as he reseats himself. He is so bitter, it almost hurts. How can he be so incapable of acquittal?

“How do you wish to proceed with this matter?” Cassiel is addressing me now, her lovely face full of genuine concern.

“It matters not,” I reply, honestly, “I have one request, however. Might I see my child, before a decision is reached?”

“I am sorry.” Cassiel says, and for one, heart-wrenching moment I fear she may deny me it. “I forget how strong a mother’s love is. It is only natural that such separation should hurt you so. Please, you have my most humble apologies for my lack of insight. Saye will take you to it.” She gestures to a maid with white-blond tresses and the darkest eyes I have ever seen. “It is not far from here.”

Within a few moments we have reached the room in which Garaeli rests. Saye leaves me at the door, clearly realizing that I wish to be alone. I push open the door, and survey my child’s abode. It is sparsely, but elegantly furnished. A beautiful mahogany crib stands in the centre. I rush to it, ready to embrace Garaeli. But it is empty. I rummage frantically through the silken sheets and lambs-wool blankets to no avail. Alarmed, I rush out onto the balcony and call in the hoarse voice of a madwomen. There is no reply.

Tears of loss sting my eyes as I pace agitatedly up and down. I know not what I should do. The palace must be larger than I dare to imagine, and it would not be hard to conceal such a small babe. Yet still I cannot quite comprehend the situation. Who would have taken him? It makes little sense.

And then I hear something – a gently cooing, low and soft. I look up, to see Mia, a bundle resting in her arms as she murmurs an incomprehensible lullaby. Her eyes meet mine and the songs stops, abruptly. I snatch Garaeli from her arms, and cradle it close. It whimpers quietly, panicked by the sudden change of temperament.

Mia makes to flee the chamber, but I catch her by the arm. She writhes in my grasp, terror flickering in her beautiful eyes.

“Please, I meant no harm.” She stutters. Her expression is pleading and imploring. “I sought only to comfort him. He was crying.”

“I don’t want to hurt you either, Mia. Only to speak with you.” I pause. “Did… did you just refer to Garaeli as he?”

She nods.