XXXVIII. A Chance To Be Normal

Chapter Thirty-Eight
Soroya

Making our way back into the lab, it's quite evident that all of us are exhausted. The last few weeks have drained each of us, especially Shuri. I think she's going to sleep for a week straight after how hard we've worked her since this ordeal started.

"I think a celebration is called for," T'Challa announces to the group. "Now that this is all over I think we all deserve a night to eat and relax."

Shuri nods her head, rubbing at her temples from where she stands near the radiation machine. "As long as I don't have to work for the next few hours I don't care what we do."

"How about we meet in the dinning room of the palace in an hour?" T'Challa says, gesturing for his guests to follow him back up the stairs. Rhodey, Bruce, and Scott begin to follow after him, and as they do, Scott says to me;

"Now I can say I've staid at and dined in a palace. Luis will be so jealous."

I chuckle at him, remembering my amazement and wonder when I first arrived in Wakanda, when I was given my own room in the palace. It felt like so long ago. I remember how everything felt so exquisite and beautiful, so much so I felt out of place being amongst it. Now it just feels like home.

Okoye and Nakia go after them. As Alex, Khari and I begin to follow, Shuri stops us by waving her hands in our direction.

"There's something I need to talk about with you two." She says, rubbing her face briefly before walking towards her work counter and giving us a serious look.

"Does that include me?" Khari asks.

"You're the fiancé, so I guess so." Shuri says, moving to sit down on one of her stools.

The three of us share glances with one another, before walking over towards her. I move to sit in the stool next to hers, while Alex leans on the counter and Khari stands silently next to him, placing a hand on my brother's back.

In Shuri's eyes I see a conflict, like she's trying to find the words to tell us what she wants to. I've never seen her like this before. I was expecting her to be happy, relieved that this whole situation was over. But now she seems even more stressed out.

I place a hand on hers, trying to comfort my best friend. Concern floods through me, is there something wrong? "Shuri. It's us. You can tell us anything, no what is it?"

Shuri grips my hand tightly, nodding her head slowly before she looks between Alex and me. "I need to know what you want me to do with the rest of the cure."

I knit my eyebrows in confusion, and as I look at Khari and Alex, I see they have no more clarity than I do. "What do you mean?" I ask her.

She sighs, tilting her head sideways as she tries to weigh her words. "I have more serum made up. As well as all of the formulas for it and the fully functioning machine. I am leaving it up to you what you want me to do with it. Whether that's keeping it or throwing it away...or using it one last time."

"Using it? For—" I cut myself off, finally understanding what she's trying to tell us, finally understanding why she looks so tense.

She's asking us if we want to use the cure for ourselves. I look over at Alex and he finally understands as well. Not only is my brother dead silent for once, but he seems to be in deep thought; really letting this information sink in.

"I think...I think we need some time to think things over." I tell her, feeling like I've walked into a dream; like I'm no longer awake.

Shuri grips my hand, pulling me back into reality for a single moment. I see the smile she gives me, as well as the concerned look on her face as she leaves the three of us to be alone, running up the stairs after the others.