Chapter VII

The farther they walked, the more the darkness engulfed them. Soon enough, the flowing red light of the pit that had once illuminated their surrounding was now a distant pinpoint, faintly shining on a horizon behind them. Martin looked back at it, longing for its radiance once more. They were so far into the darkness that he could barley make out Susan’s quick-moving silhouette. Soon they wouldn't be able to see anything, even if their eyes adjusted to it.

Oddly, the footsteps and movement that they had heard before, venturing into who-knew-where had almost ceased. Going into what they assumed was their domain, one would think that their movements would increase. That they would attack due to the disturbance. Perhaps, instead, they were crouched down, drowning them in and waiting for the perfect time to reveal themselves. Waiting for them to put their guards down. Maybe laughing at them wandering around in the dark, thinking that there was a slight chance of escape.

Martin shook his head, trying to get the image out of his head; A man-sized monster with an eerily clown-like face pouncing out of the darkness biting into his flesh with the sharp, yellowed teeth it surely had. They dug deeper, tearing and ripping at his eye sockets. The creature, with his claw-like fingernails. Martin screamed, but began to choke on the blood that was now flowing down his face and onto his clothing. The creature laughed; a cold, chilling noise that cut through the darkness, and drowned out his own screams. Still laughing, the monster, in one last, harsh swipe of his hand, would slit his throat, making him bleed out on the cold ground. The life would slip out of him, and he would die, leaving his body for the creature to do what he will with it...

“Ah!” Martin exclaimed, suddenly running into Susan's back, startling him and bringing him back to reality. The clown-like creature was, as far as he knew, nowhere near them, and his body was still intact.

“Get off of me!” Susan snapped, turning around and pushing him away. He complied, but almost lost his footing, catching himself before falling over.

“Why did you stop?” He asked, annoyed by her unthoughtful, sudden halt.

“Because there's a wall in the way.” Susan replied, just as annoyed as he was. She turned her head towards him, shooting a dirty look, although he couldn't see it.

“So does that mean we're stuck here?” Martin felt a familiar lump of panic form in his throat. Perhaps this really was it. He was suppose to get across the propertied, so now he would most defiantly die, and there was absolutely no getting out.

“I.... don't know. I don't think this was here before. I haven't...” She trailed off, slowly sliding her hand down the wall, trying to find any variation of flat wall, just as Martin had done earlier in the dark, round room.

This wall was a shock to her. For the last two days, she had been venturing into this endless darkness and had found nothing but that darkness. Now a while wall has materialized. She shouldn't be questioning what was here; she was in a strange cabin in the middle of West Virginia that was bigger on the inside and seemed to rearrange itself on a whim. Did anything need to make logical sense anymore?

But even more importantly, if logic still applied to anything inside the house, this wall could mean one of two things; The better outcome that there is a door somewhere that might let them out, or the worse outcome, that it was eventually what it seemed: A wall. It was being used to keep them in. Or maybe it was being used to keep something out...

“Look for a door.” She finally said, sliding over and making a space of Martin to search. He stood where he was for a moment, before stepping forward with his hands out. His palms touched the smooth, cool surface. “I'll go right, you go left.”

“How will we find each other if we find anything?” Martin asked, for once actually making a valid point.

“Meet back in the middle.” Susan shrugged, “Or yell and meet where I am.”