C [Edited]

I sit at the end of the bench, Heck sitting on the ground beside me. I bought a coffee to keep my insides warm. I sip the cup, and look around the street. There some people walking back and forth to work, to a shop, or just to greet a friend.

A couple with a baby boy about three years old passes me. The boy points at my dog and wants to pet him. "Will he bite?" The woman holding the boy asks.

"No, he's friendly." I smile. I sit my coffee on the bench, stand up and go on the other side of Heck, and hold his collar. The woman slowly placed the boy on the ground.

He walked the few steps to my dog and petted him on the head. "Nice puppy." The boy smiled. Heck smelled the boys face, making the boy giggle with excitement. The dog slowly leaned his head back -he wasn't mean around kids, just very cautious.

"Come on, Jap." The father took his son by the hand, and the family started to walk away. (A/N 'Jap' is a nickname for someone named Jasper.)

"Bye, puppy!" Jap waves at Heck. Heck nodded as if in correspondence to Jap.

I stand up, get my coffee, and went across the street. I took another sip while crossing the road. As I pass by an alley, Heck barks at something inside the alley. I stop dead in my tracks and look to see what got his eye. Heck started down the alley. I tug on the leash. "Heck, no." I tug on the leash again.

Heck looked back at me with puppy eyes, as if to say "aw come on". I sigh and follow. Heck walks as if he knows what he's doing. I turn on my camera that had around my neck to get ready for use. Heck slows down. I notice two teens picking on another teen.

I clear out my throat. "Hello, Mister and Misses 'rough 'em up', please back away from him." I call out to the two teens.

They look back at me. "What do you think your doing?" One bully asks, placing his hands on his hips. The other starts to walk towards me.

Heck growls at the teen. I slowly crouch down, sitting the cup beside me, and place my hand on the area where the leash latch meets the ruby red dog collar. "Taking my dog out for a nice walk." I unlatch the leash.

Heck runs at the teen coming at me. The teen turns and runs around the two others, and goes into another alley way. The other bully follows without hesitation. My dog stops at the entry of the other alley, giving a loud bark. The final teen thanked me, and left to go to a coffee shop.

"Heck." I call my dog back to me. Heck looks at me, then walks down the next alley. I sigh once more, and again follow, leaving my cup.

As I turn into the new alley, snow begins to fall gently. I see my dog has stopped in his tracks as he is looking into the darkness. I cock my head to the side. What's he doing? I bend down beside him, hooking the leash to his collar. He lays down in the snow that had already fell. "What's wrong buddy?" I ask, petting him on the head.

I look back down the alley. "There's nothing down there, Heck. If you get up now, we can stop by the pet shop, and get you some of those cookies you love. Does that sound good?" I pet Heck on the head.

Heck doesn't move. I look back down the alley. A man dressed in black walks out of the darkness. He wore a white mask with a smile engraved in it. Heck put a paw over his eyes.

"Who -or what- are you?" I was afraid to ask, if you ask me. Is he a Romulan? Joker?

"I can assure you I mean you no harm." He assured me.

"Bullshit." My nose scrunched up. Something told me that this guy was telling the truth. Then again, something told me that this guy was trouble.

"Please. Trust me." He bowed slightly. 

"Again- bullshit." I stand up. I turn back down the alley, and start my way back home. Heck stood up as well, following behind me.

I just kept walking. The man never said another word.

I went back to the Chicago Times building. I gave my camera to Carl, slipping out before Jane realized I was ever there. I walk Heck home to the apartment, stopping once for a bathroom break for the dog.

"You didn't bring any pictures, did ya?" Jane almost yelled at me. Yesterday was an utter failure in Jane's defense. Yesterday was just weird for me. I didn't say anything about the man in black... yet.

"I didn't see anything! I swear to it!" I put my hands on my hips.

"So, you should've looked more." Jane crossed her legs.

"I can't look constantly for something that you can photo-shop." I regret saying that. Deeply.

"Carl!" Jane yells.

"Yes ma'am?" Carl walks into the room, wearing a Queen shirt.

"Photo-shop a picture of a brick wall with a poster with a 'V' cut into it." Jane sits up straight.

"What about me?" I ask.

Carl puts his hand on my shoulder. "Your jumping a little." He quietly says.

I bite my lip and try to stop "jumping". I was bouncing up and down in place. I did this when I was angry or upset...