Weird Awakenings

I wake up for the third and least pleasant time; to my mothers frantic voice.

"Vicky?!" She shouts, the least liked of my many nicknames.

"Mom?" I groan and look around to find myself in my bedroom.

"Vicky! She's awake!" She yells to my father, who greets me with an awkward hug. I return it, overwhelmed by worried faces.

"What happened?" I ask groggy, this time not even bothering to shield the dragons breath I have.

Dad replies, "You got sick and passed out on your walk back from the highschool. We didn't see you for hours and wouldn't have known you were missing, lucky for us Slate brought you back home. Which by the way, why have you not mentioned him before?"

"Slate?"

"OH MY GOSH SHE HAS AMNESIA," my mom announces to my dad.

"No. Mom I don't have amnesia!" I tell her before she has an attack. I figure Slate is my unpleasant, hot companion I saw before I fell asleep last.

"You're sure?"

"I am sure."

"Okay, because I have to take Madilyn to practice and I don't want to come home to an incoherent daughter."

"You won't come home to an incoherent daughter."

"Okay, clean up," she says. Glad to see, my mysterious black out has gotten me out of chores.

"Okay."

Despite passing out, I am surprisingly energized. I walk downstairs to the circus starring my two younger sisters. With the relationship we have, my mom being worried about me was a bit of a surprise.

"Tori," my sister right after yours truly, Madilyn greets me, "where were you?"

"Passed out," I reply.

"Like you legit fainted?"

"Like I legit fainted."

"Cool!" the twelve year old marvels.

I clean up around the chaos and, when I am done, squeeze my way out of the freak show to head to work. I wait tables at a local cafe.

As soon as I check in I see a handsome familiar face.

"Slate. Right?" I ask as he turns around.

His hotness surprises me even though we've met before, I catch myself staring at his perfectly chiseled face when he speaks up.

"Uh yeah, have you been watching me?" He asks with a less than welcoming look.

"Actually er--no," I stutter, "Just making sure you were all filled up."

He raises an eyebrown and gestures to his full cup, "I will let you figure out that one by yourself."

Rude

"Well aren't you pleasant," I observe aloud.

Slates joined by a cute, skinnny, curly haired boy who acts as if he is used to ladies falling all over him.

"Slate," he nods,"baby cakes," he points finger guns to me.

"Hi," I smile, "can I get you anything?"

"Your number?"

I roll my eyes.

"I'll get an extra frosted cinna-stick," he winks at me and hands me a five dollar bill, "I wasn't kidding about that number of yours."

"Ha-ha," I reply with a grin, "I'm keeping this," I say as I slip it into my apron.

When I return with the artery clogger of a snack, a happy smile vanishes from slates face.

"Everything okay?" I ask the routine question. Slates eyes refuse to find mine, but his companion is a giddy puppy.

"Everything is great," he says confidently.

"Cool," I lay down both of their checks and he grabs my hand as I turn.

"Tori," he reads off my name-tag.

"Hi," I say awkwardly. Slate seems bored about his friends whole routine. His friends seems original though, so I play along.

"Lucas, Tori. Tori, Lucas," he says.

"What?" I ask.

"Just working out which one we will be known as when we are official," he says while he leans back casually.

I can't hide my grin, I couldn't imagine anything serious with this guy but he's cute, and he seems fun, "pardon me?"

"You know after I court you of course, tonight? Or will that seem too pushy? When does your shift end? Do you---"

"Sorry," I inturrupt, "I have a docters appointment tonight. Raincheck?" This seems to spark Slates attention.

"Why?" Slate asks urgently, "did you encounter one? Did they mark you? Have you found any marks?"

"Uhh I have no idea what you are talking about, but I did randomly pass out and I don't remember anything that happened so I probably should check that out."

He relaxes. I am about to ask him why exactly I would have a mark when he says, "Well you probably have tables to get to so..."

Unsure how to respond to that, I tell Luke to tell me if he needs anything else and leave to my other tables.

On my break I have time to think about how sketchy Slate is and how unexplained he has been. First I wake up in a mysterious room with him, he's a d-bag, he takes me home, which was nice, I see him at work, he is egotistical, rude and mysterious. But with everything wrong I cannot help the need to see him again.

I look to the ceiling and pray that I am not one of those girls. I don't need that right now. Besides, I cannot trust a guy that is worried about me finding marks on my body after carrying me home. he could be part of a secret government agency that checks for lepercy, No way I am trying to rationalize with myself about this mannerless bad-boy that hasn't even shown a bit of interest with me. He hasn't shown a bit of interest in me! That should be enough. And when did I ever have time for relationships? Not ever. Sure I will flirt and date here and there, but this inerest is completely out of the oridinary for me.

Must be hormones, is what I finally convince myself. This is my second encounter with this male, and we barely had a conversation.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Okay, just in case there was any confusion during that chapter, I am happy to explain. Tori has a crazy mother. She has one older brother and two younger sisters whom her mom is often busy with, which leaves Tori a lot of freedom in and out of the house. My apologies for my uncontrolable rambling.

I think I'll be updating every day for the next couple days because I have chapters I've finished editing and it's Christmas time so yeah.

PS: If you could I would be just sososo greatful if ya'll could help me get my story out please vote and comment, I don't wan't to rob anybody the chance of reading such a moving story (Okay my attempt to be funny is somewhat distorted) well, if you are reading this, I love you.

PPS: I realize that when I said, "I love you," earlier it may have seemed a bit like I used that word without care. But it's not true. I legitmately love you.

PPPS: I apologize for making my authors note seemingly longer than my chapter. It was meant to be short. My bad.