Chapter Four

I awoke at around noon, tired from last night’s adventure. There was a voicemail on the machine from George that said to come around four o’clock that evening. He said to bring snacks or something of that sort because he was hungry and so were the rest of the lads. I wondered why they didn’t have people doing that for them, but I thought that buying snacks was an excuse to fill up the four hours until I was due there. So I didn’t complain.

  Even though I wasn’t much of a baker, I decided to try and have my go at baking a cake. George and I had been seeing each other for a while now, a little over a month. It wasn’t all that serious yet, but I thought that baking him a cake was something sweet. I ran to the store around one, after getting my hair and makeup perfect for George and bought cake mix, frosting, and sprinkles, as well as two bags of chips, a pack of cola, and a small box of cookies. After buying all this, George would have to think I was the best girlfriend he could have.

  I started baking the cake soon after, and it was ready by two thirty. I let it cool and frosted it with vanilla frosting, topping it with sprinkles. After I looked at it, I noticed it looked awfully feminine. But hell, I was a girl; of course it would look feminine! The boys would just have to suffer through its looks.

  Around three fifteen I loaded all the junk in the car, fixed my makeup, and drove toward the studio. I was very excited to see George, let alone all the Beatles. I hadn’t seen any of them since the movie filming, and that was an awful long time ago. I was a little nervous to see John, however, because he had acted strange during the film. But maybe that was just then. He was probably different now.

  I was careful not to smush the cake as I carried it, along with my bag of chips, cookies, and cola into the studio. I felt like I was going to drop something, but it didn’t really matter. As long as the cola didn’t explode or shatter and the cake didn’t smush, I was fine.

  But as I walked into the studio, I noticed that it was quite a confusing building. There was a long hallway and a staircase that led up to the second, third, and fourth floors. There were tons of rooms everywhere, all with similar looking doors. Oh, George hadn’t told me where he was recording! It would take me an hour just to go through every room and find which one they were playing in.

  Then it occurred to me: if they were recording, I’d be able to hear their music outside the door! It was a nearly flawless plan; only I didn’t hear any music.

  I was having enough trouble already carrying all the snacks, and finding a room just made my struggles even more difficult. It was going to take forever for me to just climb to the second floor. How was I to make it all the way to the fourth if they were playing up there?

  Then I heard it; a familiar laugh. I sighed in relief, turning to see Paul coming down the staircase. What a help this was!

  “Pattie?” He asked, looking at me. I guess it was hard to see my face because of all the items I was carrying. “Do you need some help?”

  “Yes, that’d be lovely, thanks.” Paul took the bag with the chips, cookies, and cola from me, lifting a heavy weight off of my shoulders. Literally.

  “Thank you so much,” I smiled. “I didn’t know which room you were playing in. It would have taken me forever just to find you.”

  “Oh, we’re just up here. Although we’re on thirty-minute break.” I followed Paul up the staircase and to the first room on the right. He opened the door sitting there were John, George, and Ringo. George smiled as he saw me.

  “Pattie!” He ran up to me and kissed me. “You shouldn’t have done all this.”

  “You said you were hungry,” I said, chuckling as I placed the cake down on the coffee table they were all sitting around. “So I baked a cake and bought a few snacks.”