Chapter 1

HI ALL!!!
I KNOW THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE READ MY WORKS BUT I AM THANKFUL FOR THOSE WHO DO AND AS SUCH I HAVE DECIDED TO TRY AND WORK ON MY BOOKS IN ADDITION TO REALLY WANTING TO WRITE SOMETHING AND AS SUCH SCRATCH MY CREATIVE ITCH. THE UPDATES ARE LIKELY TO BE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN JUST TO WARN YOU BUT WHEN I AM FRUSTRATED I REALLY NEED TO WRITE SO BEWARE ANY DEATH SCENES BECAUSE THEY ARE LIKELY TO BE GORY IF I AM IN A REALLY BAD MOOD!! ;) I HOPE YOU ENJOY! :P

MUST READ: Also, just to let you all know, I may change the basis of the story and allow Raven to get far due to his skill and not as a birthright. Also there may or may not be a Ren, if I definitely don't include her, I'll change the blurb and the prologue later, so just be aware the story may become different.

The sound of wooden swords clashed around the training grounds. The kingdom had fallen into disaray with the death of the Queen eleven years previously, and with no heir, the throne had been left empty and the reins to the kingdom left in the militaries hands. The kingdom had met war after war wih neighbouring countries targeting the rich and fertile land, now unrecognisable after several wars and hundreds of battles waged throughout the lands. Every child now received a minimum amount of training- though men were only recruited into the army- in preperation for future wars and the peace which used to be bountiful, had now all but disappeared from memory.

The sounds of clashing began to echo louder and all attention began to shift to one particular trainee in his duel. He was faced against a sword master, though both armed with wooden swords, the skill of which he parried and striked was so ferocious that all who witnessed the fight could attest that the wooden swords which were used to prevent such injuries were now the cause of many more as a stroke or a stab of their blades managed to break past the others defenses. The sword master already had three injuries, an unprecedented number for a man of his rank with his student following behind at four however the sword master had two significant injuries in comparison to his opponents one. The man had a broken finger which hindered his sword work from a blow that had landed late due to his partial dodge and a broken rib from a full on hit he had failed to parry as his student switched his hands over to hold his wooden sword. Although he had taught the lad from an early age he had failed to see the extent of the lads growth through his pride that a young person of only sixteen years had managed to over power and over skill his master in the short seven years he had trained for. The lads eyes were cold enough to scare even the most cold hearted man, woman or child and the sword master was no different, however, now his eyes held a certainty and confidence to match up with his gaze.

The boy moved through instinct, the hours of drills built into his body, and with a final sweep of his sword, he disarmed the Sword Master and it became silent. When Raven had challenged the Sword Master to a duel in place of another student he was paired with to duel, no one had believed that even someone as skilled as Raven could take on the sword master. It was unpreceedented that he would lose. His position after all was rewarded due to his skill. Not anyone could be a Sword Master, and yet he had lost.

The swordmaster was very nervous. The kingdom ruled through a military and as such, skill on the battlefield was held in the highest regard. As such across the twelve sections of land in the kingdom of Hallainia, a sword master presided, to keep the military power divided evenly and fairly,.... it still was retained in the elder citizens memories though of the thirteenth sword master of who provided protection for the royal family. The Sword Master's position was given to him because he didn't lose. He had underestimated the young lad, though he should have known. It was not everyone that managed to train under someone of his rank and serve as a squire to the General himself. The General had seen his talent, he should have as well, but he would never admit to it.

"You cheated!" the sword master exclaimed. "I am too skilled to beat. You cheated!". There was no way that he would admit to the loss. He enjoyed his position as Sword Master and thoroughly enjoyed all the benefits it brought with it.

"Give it up Quindell. You lost fair and square", the boy replied, annoyance evident in his tone. He had not cheated. There was no way to cheat in the midst of a sword duel. "Have some pride. You lost because you're lazy. You think because you have this position, that you're untouchable. Well, you're not. My God, don't be a sore loser. Everyone loses. Just learn from it and move on." The boy scoffed at his previous teachers tear strewn face, disgusted at the mans reaction to a simple loss. He had got off easy. He wasn't dead afterall.

The other trainees had halted their duels in the midst of Raven and Quindells duel, their blades laying forgotten on he floor. "He beat him," someone whispered breaking the silence that had seeped into the training ground. "He beat a sword master!", another uttered in awe. The silence lingered a few seconds longer before Quindell began to sob, laying forgotten on the floor.

The Iron Throneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें