37

I've had my adventure
I don't need something new
I am afraid of what I'm risking if I follow you
Into the unknown
_____________________

THE DECISION was made, and we had to leave in two shakes of a tail.

Our ride was located behind the castle under a bridge. The tunnel was unused and water dripped from the ceiling. Mal and I were the only ones ready to go, leaning against the old rusty car as we waited. The car was Beast's apparently. We needed something worn down so we don't draw any attention.

"You know, Brae." Mal said, mindlessly thumping her fist against the hood of the car, "Never in a million years did I think I'd be doing this."

"What? Going on a joyride with your peeps? Or saving Auradon from destruction?" I answered with a snort.

Mal laughed a little. "How about everything?"

I nodded exaggeratedly. "That works too."

"Are you worried?" She asked after a moment.

"Yeah." I replied honestly, "Who wouldn't be? But it feels kinda nice to be doing something like this cause..."

"Makes you feel useful?"

I looked at her. "Exactly. Feels like I'm more than just... plain old me."

Mal smiled.

This girl. She gets me.

"It was also... nice for Beast to actually trust us enough to let us do this." Mal noted. She was struggling to find the right words.

"Surprising, huh?"

"Yup."

"I call dibs on the drivers seat!" Jay called, leaping off from the side of the bridge and landing near us.

"Watch it." Mal warned, "You'd break a leg before we even get there."

Carlos, Evie and Ben reasonably took the stone slabs down to join us, followed closely by the Fairy Godmother, Belle and the King himself. Dude was in Carlos' arms. Ben was dressed in a leather jacket, a beanie, and boots. The typical Isle look.

"Nah-ah." Ben jingled the car keys in Jay's face, "I'm driving."

"What happened to you?" Mal teased, suppressing a giggle.

"Evie happened." Ben replied with a grin.

Evie placed her hands on her hips. "Am I supposed to take that to offense? I had to throw together an outfit with all the random cloth piled all over the place..."

"I love it, E." Mal told her, "Now let's get this bad boy up and running."

Carlos shook his head, standing a noticeable distance away from the car. "How are you guys so chill about this?"

I walked up to him and took his hand. "Just think of it as an adventure." I said.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "An adventure to the Isle? More like a suicidal mission." He protested. But I could see the small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "You know I'm only going cause you guys are going, right?"

"You love us too much." I bopped his nose and he broke into a helpless smile, "Why'd you bring Dude?"

Fairy Godmother spoke up. "He's a dog. He can help you find Audrey if he picks up her scent... and he'd sink his teeth into anyone who hurts you." She added.

Dude snarled, as if proving her point.

"I know roughly where the lockdown is." Ben said, "Unlike Audrey. So I'm sure we'd get to her before she gets to your parents."

"Be careful." The Fairy Godmother said, looking at each and every one of us in the eyes.

I could see the remorse, accompanied by the worry in her eyes, especially after she had promised to never let us back.

I let go of Carlos and went to hug her. She looked pleasantly surprised.

"We'll be careful." I promised.

She gave me a relieved smile. "I don't think I've ever been this amazed by children before."

"Tell me about it." Belle added quietly.

I joined the group that stood next to the car, ready for action. The confident smirk on Jay's face made me feel extra reassured.

Mal placed a hand on my shoulder. "That's because we grew up different." She said to no one in particular, "We're used to the thrill."

"Higher survival skills." Jay shrugged.

"More jumping over buildings." Carlos joked.

The King was smiling more than I've ever seen him, glowing with quiet pride. I think we've proven ourselves.

"Keep in touch." He reminded, holding up a device that mirrored the one in Ben's hand.

Ben held it up. "Always."

"If you're not back in three hours, I'm sending guards." His dad replied.

"Back before dinner or else mother gets mad." Ben nodded, "Sounds fair."

I almost laughed.

"Let's go you guys. Audrey awaits." Mal announced.

Ben climbed into the driver's seat. I took up the back of the car with Carlos. Propping myself up, I looked out of the back window and spotted Fairy Godmother and her wand. I hadn't seen it before, and it was exactly how I imagined it: sparkly like glitter, blue like her dress. Evie pulled the door shut.

I watched the Fairy Godmother stared solemnly at us, and wondered if she caught me looking at her. She raised her wand cautiously, and mouthed something I couldn't hear- probably a spell. A ray of blue sparks came from the tip of her wand and hit the back of the old car. The vehicle started to float.

"If this thing is flying, why do you have to drive?" Jay said, clutching onto the seat in front of him.

Ben shrugged. "I'm no magic expert." He replied. And with that, he started the car.

Suddenly, we were over the edge and soaring above the ocean. It was smart to not use the front entrance. I settled back into my sitting position when the Fairy Godmother was too small to be seen anymore. Carlos looked tense as he stared off into space. I felt the need to lean my head on his shoulder.

"She's not going near you this time." I whispered.

He shifted, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and resting his head on mine. Being this close to him made me feel safe. I felt his hand play with a strand of my dark hair as the car continued on its way.

"And none of them are going near you either." He answered.

"Let me protect you for once." I argued.

He looked at me, as if saying Is that a challenge, Isle Orphan?

"It'll just be a quick visit." I told him.

Boy, was I wrong.