Chapter 18

"I forgot to go pick up Sturgill. You distracted me." Ryan laughed.

"Go on. Go get him. I miss him." Olivia urged.

"I won't be long." He kissed her, before getting out of bed to get dressed.

"It's fine. I'm getting hungry anyway. I'll get something started for lunch or dinner. I have no clue what time it even is." She giggled.

"Or you can just stay right here. You look comfortable. I'll pick something up on the way back."

Stay there she did. But then the wheels in her practical brain began to turn. Being alone gave Olivia time to think. Her relationship with Ryan had changed drastically in a matter of a few hours. Although she had no regrets, she was forced to think about how it might look from a professional perspective.

Her desire was to keep their relationship under wraps for a while. It was publicly know that Ryan had recently broken up with a long time girlfriend. Then he began working with a brand new PR rep that unknown to only but a select few, he was now romantically involved with. Once their involvement was revealed to the outside world, it could be a PR nightmare. Her nightmare. Part of her job was putting out fires, not starting them.

If word got out about the reason behind Ryan and Lauren's breakup and his brand new relationship with Olivia, how much of a shit storm would that cause? She would look like the rebound girl. Everyone would look at her with pity. On the flip side, if the reason didn't get out, she could end up looking like the other woman. They would talk about the possible reason why she had gotten her job. She didn't want to be Ryan's dirty little secret, but she didn't want to subject Ryan or herself to the media scrutiny either. They could tell themselves all they wanted that it was no ones business what they did, but it could very likely have a negative impact on both of them. What would it be like at the track this coming weekend? How would they handle it.

Things were so good with Ryan right now. Lighthearted, sweet, passionate and a little mushy, but Olivia knew they were going to have to have a serious conversation. Sooner rather than later.

Ryan returned shortly with Sturgill, and a bag from Chick-Fil-A. She loved up on Sturgill for a little while before diving into her food. While she ate, she thought about what she wanted to say and how to say it.

"Ry, we need to talk." She began. She watched as frown lines appeared between his eyes.

"Those are usually not words a guy likes to hear Livvy. What's going on. Please tell me you are not having second thoughts about us."

"No. Not at all. I love you and today was every bit as perfect as I imagined it would be." She watched his face relaxed a bit, but he still looked a little apprehensive.

"But..." He prompted.

"I think we should keep our relationship on the down low. Just for a little while."

"Why? I have nothing to hide." He protested.

"You know how it's going to look to the public. If they dig into my background they will see that I came into this job with no experience. You know what everyone will say." She explained all of the other thoughts that had gone through her head.

"I don't care what anyone says Livvy. I'm with you because I love you. What goes on in my personal life is my business, no one else's."

"You don't get it Ryan. You are in the spotlight, Your personal life will become everyone's business and so will my personal life for that matter. I'm going to be under personal attack for either being the rebound, the other woman, or the girl who slept her way into her job. It doesn't matter if it not true. That's what everyone will say, and do you have any idea what that could do to your image?"

"I told you Livvy, I don't care what anyone says about me."

"Well maybe I care what they say about me. This doesn't just affect you Ryan, it affects me too. How am I supposed to be taken seriously in this position."

"I think you are overthinking things Livvy." He grinned and kissed her cheek.

She was beginning to get annoyed.

"You're not taking this seriously Ryan. I have legitimate concerns, and I feel like you are blowing me off."

"I'm not blowing you off Livvy. I understand your concerns. I don't want to hide us, but I don't want to fight with you either, so we'll do it your way."

She breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you Ry. It won't be long. Hopefully. Just until things blow over with Lauren and I need to prove that I can do this job."

"I just hope Lauren doesn't cause any trouble."
He said almost to himself.

"You don't think she will do you? Olivia asked.

"She could. Somehow she knows about you. She's still texting me."

"Why didn't you tell me Ryan? I thought we were going to be open with each other."

"I didn't think it was a big deal. I didn't want you to get upset. "He explained, knowing now he probably should have told Olivia.

"What is she saying?" Olivia didn't look happy.

Ryan took out his phone, pulled up his text messages and handed the phone to her.

It's over with Denny and I. I want you back.

Please Ryan

I know you are seeing these. Why won't you respond?

I know you have another girlfriend. You sure moved fast didn't you?

Were you seeing her behind my back?

Does your new girlfriend know the reason I hooked up with Denny was because you couldn't get it up?

It's your fault I turned to Denny. You withheld affection.

Fuck you Ryan!!!

I'm sorry Ry. I didn't mean that.

I hope she dumps you when she realizes you can't get it up.

Olivia had seen enough. She handed the phone back to Ryan. Suddenly she laughed.

"If only she knew. I've never wanted to respond to a text so bad in my life, but that would be so childish and beneath me."

"You're not mad at me for not telling you about this?" He asked.

"No. I'm not mad. If she wants to cause trouble, then I guess we'll deal with it when the time comes."

"Well, I'm going to do something I should have done weeks ago. I realize deleting her from my contacts was not good enough, so now I'll just block her ass. I don't know what's she's going to do or say. She may just let it go, but I'll go along with keeping us private."

"Thank you Ry. It won't be for long. Trust me, I don't like this either. I would love to tell the world that Ryan Blaney loves me, but I'm trying to be sensible about this."

"I know sweetheart. I understand. I want to shout it out to the world too, but we can wait. It won't be long."

She hoped she was right, that it wouldn't be long.