Chapter 14: A Mentor

Chaos. That's the only word that the VKs can describe the way you and the terror twins train. Phobos and Deimos were using their abilities to get to your head. Being a goddess, you have built a wall in your mind that would stop them from finding out your true fear and using that against you. So while they attack you both mentally and physically, you dodged every move they made and try to focus on controlling your flames to your will.

The VKs watched as the twins shapeshifted into monstrous forms. They would become giant spiders or hideous beasts with faces that would cause the evilest villain to hide under their bed. But what amazed the villain children was the fact that this was only the restricted powers of the twins. They wouldn't want to imagine what sort of forms they can turn into with their full powers.

The twins' eyes shone a bright red as they felt a small bit of fear coming from the standing group. You know that them shapeshifting was just a form to feed off of the VKs surprised fears. It is the first time they ever saw the twins in this form, and you don't blame them. You spent a good year being afraid of the twins before becoming friends with them.

"What's wrong, (y/n)?" Phobos hissed as he turned into a gigantic snake. "Can't fight?"

"Or maybe you're not strong enough" Deimos attacked you with a sword.

You managed to dodge them both, your flames flickering before going out. The twins laughed and lunged at you once more. Phobos went back to his normal self, stopping the whole shapeshifting tactic. They fought you with their swords and shields. You waved your arm up, a root from a tree sprouting out of the ground and grabbing hold of the boys' weapons. "You know that I don't get scared"

"Tsk. Tsk." Deimos smirked. "No gardening powers, just flames"

They broke their swords out of your hold and went to attack you once more. Your flames kept flickering but wouldn't budge to your will. It was frustrating. The flames could protect you in times of need but won't do as you say? How do you expect to win against Melinoe like this?

"Melinoe, Makaria, and Zagreus had mentors and your father to teach them their abilities" Phobos spoke as if he read your mind. "Hecate took Melinoe and Makaria under her wing while Zagreus had many mentors like Gaia, the dancing Korybantes, mountain nymphs, Athena, and even the almighty Zeus."

"Makaria is easy to defeat" Deimos continued as he slashed his sword at you. "But if you want to beat Melinoe, you have to beat Dionysus first."

"He is the only one who Melinoe had trouble with when fighting" Phobos managed to stab you with his sword on your right hip. You took a step back, grabbing hold of your wound.

"He is the one called the 'highest' god after all" Deimos threw a punch at you, only for it to be dodged. "I mean. Zeus even had the intention of making him king one day"

Deimos turned to slash you with his sword, but you managed to trip him and flip yourself to land a roundhouse kick to Phobos' face. Phobos spat out a bit of blood as Deimos got back up again. Your wound was healed and you stood in a fighting stance.

"I didn't think we came out here for a family history lesson" You mocked.

"We didn't" Phobos cracked his neck.

"We came to fight" Deimos smirked, gripping onto his sword tightly.

"Good." You glared at your two friends.

The group watched the fight from the sidelines. Your blue flames kept appearing and disappearing. Phobos and Deimos moved in sync with every attack. The VKs could tell that this wasn't your first fight with the twins. You must have spent years of training with them. At first, they were amazed and a bit terrified about the abilities the twins held, but now it was like they were watching the three of you dance.