CHAPTER 19: THE REAL WORLD

Chapter Soundtrack - Chapter 19: "Field Of Innocence" by Evanescence

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All right, you are all set," I said, zipping up Gretchen's dress. 

She swung around and walked to the full-length mirror in the corner of her room and surveyed the image staring back at her.  Her hair had been meticulously curled, long blonde waves now flowing down her back.  Her dress was made of gold shiny material with spaghetti straps and a round plunging neckline.  The material was extremely form-fitting and gathered together on one side below the hip, held together by a shiny broach.  The broach was also the starting point of a slit that ran all the way down her leg.  It was wildly sexy but Gretchen made it look classy as well.  I had accompanied her while she had her hair and makeup done and then returned to her house to help her get ready for the prom.

"I can't believe you're not going to be there," she whined.  "We were supposed to do this together."

"Since when?" I scoffed.  "Besides, you were the one who gave me the tickets for the concert."

"You know what I mean," she continued, putting on a pair of long gold chandelier earrings.  "Where are you meeting Gabe again?"

"We're meeting up at the concert hall.  Since the show doesn't start until later, we're grabbing some dinner first."

"Wow, you're going to have an actual date?  With other people around?  Are you sure you're going to be able to handle it?" she asked sarcastically.

"Very funny," I replied.  "It's not like I want to keep my relationship with Gabe a secret.  My parents are giving me no other choice."

"You've got to admit, it makes it hotter, doesn't it?"

"Honestly, I think that even if we were surrounded by a crowd of people, it would be equally as hot," I informed her, giving her an evil smile.

"That boy has definitely had an influence on you," she observed.  "A good one, of course."

"Of course," I said mockingly. 

We started laughing as she checked her makeup in the mirror one last time.  "Are you going straight home after the concert?"

I became silent.  Although I was using Gretchen as my alibi to stay out all night, I hadn't informed her of that.  I trusted her, but I also wanted to keep what Gabe and I were planning personal and intimate.  I didn't want any outside forces to be involved.  Tonight would be just for me and him.  "Yeah," I said quietly, "I'm going straight home."  I walked over to the bed and picked up my purse.  "Well, looks like you're ready to go and I better be leaving also."

"Okay," she replied, rushing over and giving me an enthusiastic hug.  "Have a great time!  Remember, we're meeting up tomorrow at Indigo to swap details."

"I'll be there," I promised, looking her over.  "You look fantastic, Gretchen."

"Thanks.  Have fun!" she yelled as I walked out of her bedroom. 

"You too," I hollered back.  As I made my way to my car, my nerves started to creep in on me.  Helping Gretchen had been a great distraction from thinking about the night ahead.  I was intensely excited and nervous at the same time.  I tried to calm myself down as I drove towards the concert hall, which was about thirty minutes away from Sparrow.  Gabe didn't like us driving separately, but it made the most sense.  Later we'd both leave our cars in the parking area near the forest.  It would be late by then so there would be little to no chance of being spotted.  I pulled into the venue's parking lot and immediately spotted the grey Aston Martin.  As I cut the engine I could see Gabe jump out of his car and start walking towards me.  I stepped out of mine and practically ran into his arms, hugging him tightly.