Preview of next novella 'Whitby After Dark - Volume 2'

Chapter 1

I saw skies of lavender through the glass ceiling. I was in a hallway. I was searching for something.

"Be ready.'''   A voice whispered.

He took my hand. I turned, it was Seth, his blond hair golden in the candlelight of the great hall. The tall rosewood double doors opened, and we were met by two Guards dressed in what resembled a Samurai uniform. They were both in fighting stance, armed with silver handled iron blade Broad-swords. Seth squeezed my hand. I somehow knew what to do. Our hands began to glimmer . I felt a burst of energy fill my being, into my very veins and blood. The glimmering magic tickled at my skin. We pushed out the energy, hard and fast, focusing it, moulding it into a large bolt of electricity and smacked it into the Guards , the impact thrusting them into the wall. The Guard on the right was still conscious, his hand reached towards me, and  sent a red orb at me. In that moment I focused my energy onto it and pushed his attack back onto him, making the glowing violent orb slam into his chest.

'''Well played counter attack.''   Said Seth with a pleased smile.

We then walked towards the open double doors.

I then awakened from the dream. Another month had passed. It was my birthday. I had turned sixteen. It fell on the Friday, so I had the whole day to enjoy. It was half past seven am and I met Mum downstairs to help her prepare for my party. Mum was going to stay for an hour at the party, then go out with friends. There was lots to do; moving furniture to make space, preparing the Buffet, and of course getting myself dressed for the occasion. Our house wasn't as palatial as the Morgans, but it still a very spacious home. I felt a twinge of nausea at the bottom of my stomach. I felt nervous about hosting my first party in Whitby. I packed up some of the more delicate ornaments, carefully wrapped each item into temporary storage in the Garage. I wore my favorite outfit; a full length Sapphire blue silk dress. With it I wore silk ballet pumps of the same beautiful blue. My curls were left loose, but combed across one shoulder, the rich red shone more vibrant against the luscious blue I wore. I couldn't wait to see my Drew again. I felt my heart  glow for him. I know, it was such a cliche; a Human in love with a Vampire. I didn't  care, for I ached to be in his arms. The doorbell rang and I bounced down the stairs to greet my guests. Carrie, her boyfriend - Tom and the Wiccan Circle members were the first to arrive. I was touched that they had all brought me gifts. The Seth and the Morgans arrived next. Drew and Carrie exchanged an awkward look and then turned her attention to me, handed me a box and said;

''Go on, open mine. I hope you like it.''

I opened the the box; it was a Dream-catcher (could have done with one of those when I first moved to Whitby).

''It's really cool. Thanks Carrie.''  I said gratefully.

The doorbell rang and rang and my classmates from School arrived. I received books and spell supplies off my Wiccan group members, various candles and beauty products from my classmates. Elizabeth bought me two vegetarian cookbooks,  Tristan bought me 'Dexter is Delicous' by Jeff Lindsey and Mum got me a signed copy of 'I shall wear Midnight' by Terry Pratchett. Seth and Kain handed me theirs. In the box was a silver blade, a amethyst jewelled Atheme Blade,a large amethyst crystal and a large piece of rose quartz. I hugged both the boys in gratitude. Drew took me aside for his and handed me a small box.

''Because you should have a Wedding ring.'' Wispered Drew

It was an Celtic eternity white gold ring. I put it on my left hand and hugged him. The party was fantastic. We danced, played on the Nintendo Wii and even did some Karaoke. The guests left at twelve. Seth and the Morgans stayed . It was a Friday and besides I couldn't sleep, I was feeling euphoric despite the niggling twinge in my stomach. Elizabet and the boys had put on 'Guitar Hero' on the Wii while Kain and I put the kettle on. The kettle steamed and I was about to pour the water into the mugs when I heard the sound of the front door being kicked through emanated throughout the house.