Two

There was a knock on the door, pulling me out of my stupor. I turned just in time the person entered. Her beaming smile was the first thing I saw.

"Hi," I greeted as she stood by the threshold for another second, studying my appearance. "Is there something you need, ma'am?" I asked.

Her smile faltered. She looked confused. "Honey, it's me," she stated as it explained to me who she was.

"I'm sorry. But I don't seem to... who are you?" I kindly asked.

Rather than easing up her discomfort, she sucked in a sharp breath and covered her mouth as a stream of tears tainted her cheeks. "Oh god. No. Please," she whispered in plea to no one in particular before leaving the room.

Feeling responsible for her discomfort, I called out to the woman. "I'm sorry for upsetting you..." I stopped when the door closed as she left.

Then I have been left by myself again. But only for a couple of minutes. This time the woman brought with him the doctor who was previously in my room, Dr. Malcolm.

"Please help her... she doesn't..." the woman was still sobbing and in tears as she tugged the doctor towards my bed.

"I'm sorry for making you cry, ma'am. I didn't mean to be rude or anything," I said before the doctor interjected.

The woman met my gaze, which only made her cry some more. "I need to get some air." She choked out in between breath before exiting the room, leaving the doctor alone with me.

I cut to the chase before he said anything. "Who was that woman? Do I know her or something? She seemed familiar, and I didn't mean to make her cry..."

He quickly interjected. "I should have done a quick exam when you work up. This is my fault." He paused and walked up to my right side. "Okay, would you tell me your name and where you are?"

"Excuse me?"

He arched his eyebrow and waited for my reply.

"Okay. We're doing that then," I murmured under my breath. "My name's Jane Cohan. And I'm at the Saint Matthew's Memorial hospital. I know where I am since I asked the nurse when I woke up the first time." I added the last tidbit, feeling it was necessary, to tell the truth than lie at the moment.

"And your birthday and occupation?"

"August 24, and I was," I paused as I tried to recall. "I was working. I had a job." My eyebrow furrowed in concentration. "Wait. Give me a second here." I stated when he was about to say something. "I was working as an art teacher?"

"Is that a question or a statement?"

I peered up at him and shrug. "I'm sure. I was an art teacher."

"Why do you say was?"

"Well, I think I quit before I ended here in this bed."

He was quiet for a second then proceeded to his next question. Upon his interrogation, my job occupation was the only time I seconded guessed myself. After his assessments, he inquired me if I knew the woman who was with me a few minutes ago. I know I couldn't lie since he did hear and see my reaction when the strange women entered the room.

"No. I don't think I know her. But she seems and felt familiar to me."

When he didn't say anything after my reply, I knew something was wrong.

"What is it? Who was she? Is something wrong?" My questions rushed in succession.

He gave me a stiff smile and shook his head. "Nothing wrong. You're just having a temporary memory loss."