Strawberries

Damian traipsed down the steps into the Batcave, watching Dick sew the red and black fabric together. He approached him but didn't say anything. He just watched Dick finish Alfred's abandoned work.

Suddenly a glint of gold caught Damian's eye, and he instantly looked towards the now shiny 'R' situated on the suit's chest. Damian stretched his hand forward, letting his fingers slide across the cool metal.

"What does the 'R' stand for?" Damian asked, suddenly intrigued. He'd seen the letter on every one of the suits that were displayed in the glass cases, but he wasn't sure what it meant, and the thought never occurred to him to ask Jason.

Dick looked at the boy who was staring at the suit on his lap.

"It stands for Robin," Dick told him.

Damian's eyebrows came together in confusion as he raised his head to look up at Dick.

"Who's Robin?"

Dick chuckled slightly at Damian's question.

"It's hard to explain," Dick said, trying to find the right words to explain who 'Robin' exactly was. He stood from his seat, placing the repaired suit down. He guided Damian over to where the other suits were.

Dick looked at his old suit. His first suit. The little green shorts, and the yellow, collared tunic. He turned to Damian and gestured to all of the suits that displayed the 'R'.

"We were all Robin at some point. I was the first Robin," Dick stated, smiling lightly to himself at the memories of Robin that rose in his mind.

Damian didn't quite understand. Who's we? he thought as he looked around at every costume displayed in the room. There were so many and not a single one looked the same. Damian felt a pang of worry rise in his stomach, Jason had told him that he died and that was why his suit was displayed. Had the people who wore these suits died aswell?

"I still don't understand," Damian admitted, taking Dick's attention once more.

"Well," Dick sighed, "you know how Bruce is Batman?"

Damian nodded. He was told everything by Bruce when he first arrived. It shocked Damian that Bruce would give away something so important as his identity, so quickly to someone he barely knew. But it made sense if Bruce was taking him in, then he would have no choice but to reveal such things.

"Well, Robin is the Bat's partner. We help him. We're sort of... heroes"

Damian nodded once again in understanding. He looked at the costume Dick referred to as his own and began cackling.

"And you wore that?!"

Dick crossed his arms over his chest, pouting. But he knew Damian was only teasing.

"Hey! I was no older than you when I wore that."

Damian's laughter grew louder until he was suddenly bent over, holding his stomach. Dick shoved him playfully in an attempt to get him to stop, but Damian's laughter was contagious, and Dick ended up laughing along with him.

***

"You want to what?!"

"You heard me, Alfred. I want to adopt Damian."

Alfred was stunned. Too stunned for words to form. Perhaps that was for the best because he didn't know how to reply to what Bruce had just told him.

Damian hadn't been here for long at all, and yet, Bruce had already made the decision for him to join the family. That is, if that's what Damian wanted.