It's Always Been You

A/N: So, I'm kind on this Hunger Games rampage lately, and I decided to write a little one-shot.  Nothin' special, just the reunion that should have happened between Peeta and Katniss in my head.  Total AU.

Let's thank cilla848 for the cover! :)

Disclaimer: My best friend has the last name of Collins, but not the first name of Suzanne.  So, in reality, she would be the closest to owning the Hunger Games Trilogy.  But alas, neither of us do.

Enjoy!

Today is the day I've been dreading.  Well, dreading is not really the correct term.  It's more of an anxiousness that I can't put my finger on.  I'm nervous, yes. That's actually an understatement.  Nervousness doesn't even come close.  Butterflies are squirming in my stomach, my hands are jittering, I can't stop shaking, and if sweating was a sport, I would get first place as I sit here in my compartment in District Thirteen.  I s'ppose I should tell you why.

I'm going to see Katniss for the first time since she ran off with Johanna Mason at the end of the Quarter Quell.

Finnick, Gale, and some of my old pals from District Twelve rescued me from the Capitol.  I don't remember much, just flashes at a time.  A needle here, a scream there.  Other than that, I pull a blank.  I don't know what happened to me, and to be quite honest, I don't really want to know.

They rescued me quite a while ago-a couple months or so.  Yes, I know what's going through your head right now- "You've been in District Thirteen for about two months and you haven't seen Katniss yet?".  Well, no, I haven't. 

Do you really think they would let Katniss see me when I couldn't even hold a cup of water up to my lips, much less give her a hug or comfort her? No, way.  They needed their Mockingjay, and I needed my recovery time- which Mrs. Everdeen and Prim sped up remotely with their magic-or what it seems like- healing skills.  So, even though I'm very uncomfortable with it, they lied to her.  Said that they didn't know where I was, that they would try their best to rescue me, and that would be their next mission.

Mission accomplished.

When Finnick, Gale, and the others went to rescue me, they told Katniss that they were going to the Capitol to rescue two essential rebels.  That wasn't exactly a lie, but it wasn't the full truth either.

And she wanted to know who they were rescuing, but they couldn't tell her.

And she got mad.

She got very mad.

She wouldn't talk to any of them for two weeks.

Two weeks.

So, needless to say, I felt extremely guilty.  And needless to say, Johannah didn't.

But I do have to agree with Katniss there.  Even though I always do, this time it's because she's right, not just because she's Katniss.

I mean, she is the Mockingjay, shouldn't she know all the details of every mission?  Or would that to be much pressure?

I don't want Katniss to be stressed, or pressured, or anything.  I want Katniss to be happy.

Which leads me to my next point.

Will Katniss be happy with me?  Or does she want Gale?  I do want her to be happy, I just wished she was happy with me.  Not with Gale, or anyone else for that matter.

Anyone expect me, that is.

Yes, I know.  "Isn't that a tad selfish?" Heck yeah, it is!  I deserve to be selfish!  I just spent half a year- 6 months- in the Capitol's clutches with only Johannah, a needle, and an ice-cold table as my friend.