Chapter 19

"Where is Charlotte?"
The Raw crowd had erupted in a chant of her name and all Hunter could do was smile. She'd been so worried about how her actions would affect her, but the crowd calling for her proved she'd hit her mark.
Luckily, he didn't have to answer the call, Vince had appeared and scheduled a rematch, getting him off the hook. What would he have said—oh the woman you want was suspended for trying to get the women more opportunities? It wouldn't have been a lie, but he doubted even he could wiggle his way out of that.
He was walking around backstage, chatting with Billy when Vince approached. "Hunter, uh, where is Charlotte?"
"She's home—with her mother."
"Oh. How is she? I know she hasn't spent much time with..."
"Listen, you may have helped me out of my situation, and you may be my boss, but making small talk about her is something we're never going to do. Cut to the chase."
"Maybe I was hasty in suspending her. Truth is, she's a fan favorite and I need her for Smackdown on Thursday. We're working on a new angle for her."
"She won't be back for Smackdown."
"I'm sure you could convince her."
"I could, but I won't. In case you missed it, she's been dragged through hell since coming here and never complains about it. She's done everything you have asked of her until she hit her breaking point. The way the women are treated here is a problem. I for one can tell you that if you try and ever put her into one of those stupid lingerie or evening gown matches she will not be participating."
"I would never suggest that for her. She's my goddaughter for heavens sake. I don't want men ogling her."
"But you think it's okay to do it to other men's daughters and goddaughters?"
Hunter had come to see things Charlotte's way in terms of the women's division.
"It's business."
"Charlotte has never done one of those matches—she never will—and do you hear how loud they were for her?"
Vince nodded.
"So clearly letting them fight is the better way to go."
"What are you asking of me?"
"At least two matches on each pay per view card."
"That's—"
"Less than fair, but a start. And also, Chyna will be my opponent at WrestleMania—granted I'm still the champion then."
"An inter gender main event? That will never see the light of day. There is no way it can be as physical as we need a WrestleMania main event to be."
"So you're going to tell the media you're denying the Royal Rumble winner their shot at the title because she's a woman?"
"I will not be blackmailed. Charlotte got away with that because she's family. I won't have everyone here thinking they can pull that and get their way."
"This isn't blackmail—just a question. Think it over, Vince."
Hunter walked away and Billy followed.
"That's ballsy, buddy." Billy slapped his shoulder. "I had no idea you were so firm on women's rights."
"We all should have been long before now. It was never right."
"I agree, but what sparked this?"
"I just saw her and what she did. She risked it all for what she believes in. I can't be silent while she's screaming. What kind of man would that make me? How could I even think I deserved her respect, let alone her love?"
Billy nodded. "I never thought I'd see the day, but Hunter, I think you've found something you love more than your own ambition."
"Crazy, isn't it?"
"No. I think it's great. Now all you have to do is convince her to take you back. It would work better if you two were in the same place."
"She needs this break, she has a lot to sort out. I'm doing what's best for her. What I want will have to take a backseat for now."
"My little Hunter is growing up," Billy teased. "I'm impressed. Truly. This girl is good for you. I was skeptical at first, I thought you were just bullshitting when you told me about her, but now I see she's the real thing to you."
"She's everything I ever wanted. Like I think of the woman I thought I'd have and she's so much better. I would do whatever it took to get her back."
"I see that. She's changed you, for the better, of course. You needed someone to pull that stick out of your ass and get you to have some fun and finally enjoy what you have. You've always been so focused on not going back to how your childhood was you never took anything but work seriously. She makes you laugh, you're actually hellified goofy when she's around. I actually love to see it. You're cute when you're in love. I thought I'd seen it before, but that was nothing compared to you with Charlotte."
"I still love what I do, but it's not as important as her wellbeing. I don't think I've ever loved anything or anyone more than this girl. And it's crazy to me because she's literally been around forever, but I never looked at her the way I do now until the feelings smacked me in the face. I would drop the entire world if she needed me to."
"I can dig that, and I honestly see how you've grown while being with her. What are you doing tonight since you're flying solo?"
"I think I'm going to shower and get some rest."
"You're such a chick. So she took your balls to North Carolina with her, I see. I'm going to go find myself something to get into tonight, so don't wait up." He walked partway down the hall to a group of people and struck up another conversation.
Hunter was exhausted by the time he got to his hotel room. He'd only wanted to shower and sleep, but his ringing cell phone held that up. It was Charlotte. He'd hoped he would hear her voice again before going to bed, but he wasn't going to call. He wanted to provide the space she needed.
"Hey, you." Her smile was present in her voice. He wished he could see it.
"Hey, how is your night going?"
"Pretty good. I talked to my mom, and I feel a lot better. I'm not a hundred percent, but I'm optimistic."
"Optimistic is good."
"I saw you on Raw."
"Did you call because you heard them screaming your name? I'm wounded, I thought it was because you missed me."
"I do miss you."
Her smile grew, he just knew it.
"And I miss you, but I'm glad you're taking some time away. You needed it."
"I did. The clarity here is great."
"Good."
"Hunter?"
"Yeah?"
"Can we—can we go on that date soon?" There was a vulnerability in her voice that he didn't miss. It made him want to be near her. It seemed to be what she was hinting at without saying it.
"I think I could work that out. Dying for your goodnight kiss, huh?"
"It's going to be my first real date, so yeah."
"You've never been on a date?" This was news to him.
"Dating in high school is so casual and no one wanted to come to my house and pick me up because of my dad, so no. Unless you count prom."
"I'm never counting that." He scoffed.
"Don't be sour. He may have been that kind of first, but you have all my other firsts."
"What other firsts?"
"First kiss, you remember that time I was ten and kissed you and ran?"
"That doesn't count. I didn't kiss you back."
"Doesn't matter—it was a first." She giggled. He hadn't heard her sound so upbeat in a long time.
"What other first?" He got comfortable on his bed.
"First dance—we were at a party my dad threw and no one was paying me any attention. I'd invited friends over and all they wanted to do is fawn over my dad—you saw me sulking in the corner and made me start dancing. Pretty soon everyone was joining in and then you snuck off." He remembered that. He couldn't stand seeing her sitting in the corner alone.
"Okay. That one is valid."
"First date will come—backwards, but it will."
"That's all? I thought there was more." He was being greedy, she was feeding his ego.
"You know you're my first real love."
"Look at that, we share a first."
"We do."
"We're going to share more firsts, I promise."
"Like what?"
"So many. Anything you haven't done that you'd like to do."
"That could mean a lot."
"I don't mind."
"How are you this guy?"
"What guy?"
"You're so sweet to me. It makes me feel special."
"You are special. I've been trying to get you to see that forever, apparently. Ever since you made me kiss you."
His joke sent her into a laughing fit, and he just listened. She sounded so happy. It made his heart swell.
"I love your laugh."
"You're being so sappy. What have you done with my Hunter?"
"Your Hunter has just seen and heard so many tears and the laughter feels like medicine. The tears were hard to watch. I don't ever want to be responsible for those again."
"It wasn't all you."
"I know," he admitted. "But I'm going to do a better job of protecting you."
"I always feel protected with you. It took me a while to admit you'd only wanted to keep me safe."
That was the first time she'd said that in regards to him.
"You said safe was boring."
"You could never be boring. When I say safe, I mean I feel like no matter what I'm experiencing I can tell you. I don't think you'd ever judge me and you care so much. My heart feels safe."
"I'm glad that you know that I'll do my best to protect it this time. I'll never judge you or make you feel like you can't come to me."
"I know that now. We have so much to work on, and I can't think of anyone I'd work on it more for."
"I'm glad."
"I just wanted you to know that. I've been so difficult and you've been patient. You've held me when I cried and I can't tell you what that means to me. It's more than any man has ever done."
"You were hurt, I deserved your anger. I know now that keeping secrets is something I don't want to do with you ever again. I'm glad you called, and although I'm happy you're getting what you need there I do miss you being here. It seems like we're finally getting back on track."
"We both had secrets, Hunter. Mine were more psychological, but they were an obstacle for us as well. And I've only been gone a day."
"Longest day ever."
"I know the feeling. The time I was in this room before now was our first time. It's hard to not think about it when I lay in bed."
"The first time was the shower. We've never been in your bed. We've never even been in mine."
"I know." She grew silent for a bit and then spoke again. "Things have changed so much since that night."
"They have, but maybe we needed that."
"Why?"
"Because when we end up together we're going to know nothing can break it. We already broke it ourselves and now we're working to put it back together."
"We really broke it." She chuckled. "I don't think anyone can be as destructive as we were."
"You know us, all or nothing."
"I'm going to let you get some rest. I don't know what your plans are for tomorrow."
"I don't really have any. Maybe the gym and then I'll fly out at some point. I don't have anywhere to be until Thursday."
"Well enjoy your days off. And Hunter, I know you said you don't need it, but thank you for being so patient with me."
"Thank you for giving me another chance."
"I really do feel special."
"You should always feel that way. If I ever forget to show you make sure to kick my ass."
"I will. Goodnight."
"Goodnight, baby."
He hung up, feeling like he was on top of the world. She hadn't promised anything or given them any titles, but he knew he had her heart. That was enough for now, but it wouldn't be where they remained.
***
"Daughter, come down here. You have a visitor."
"I'm not up for visitors," Charlotte yelled from the top of the stairs.
"You will want to accept this one."
Noisily making her way down the stairs, Charlotte's smile grew as their eyes met. "What are you doing here?"
Hunter reached for her, pulling her into his arms. "Picking you up from your house for a date. Your father isn't here, but I've asked his permission as well as your mother's." He'd taken the first flight out that departed at five in the morning and ended up having a layover, but it was all worth it.
"I'm not dressed," she protested.
"You have an hour. Get ready, love."
"This is crazy, Hunter." He'd watched as she went back upstairs hurriedly.
Her ebullience was adorable. She hadn't stopped smiling since he'd arrived, and he was nervous for some reason. This was her first date, it had to be perfect. Also, this was the first time he'd been alone with her mother since all the drama broke. He had talked to her on the phone, but he had no idea what she must think of him.
"It was really sweet of you to fly here just to take her out. She's excited. How long of a flight did you have to take?"
"Nine hours with the stops and layover, but it was worth it. She said she wanted our date to be sooner rather than later." He shrugged. "And besides, I wanted to see her. I just can't seem to stay away."
"She doesn't want you to."
She walked into the living room and took a seat. He assumed he was supposed to join her. He owed her an apology as much as he did Charlotte.
"I really didn't mean for things to get as out of hand as they did. I really caused her a lot of pain."
"Your secret wasn't ideal, I admit that, but she had other things haunting her. She wasn't facing her fears. She was shoving them away as if they didn't exist. You being dishonest forced her to finally erupt and lose that control she'd held onto so tightly."
"I never meant to make her feel like I didn't care or that she wasn't the most important thing in my world, because she is. I know it had to make things hard between all of us. You've made me feel like family most of my life, and if I—"
"You are our family. You and my daughter, you're two stubborn people that are hopelessly in love with each other and make bad decisions for the best reasons. You only want to protect her and she wants to protect you. It's beautiful, but you have to be careful. You can't let that protective nature make you forget the most important thing—you have to be honest about how you feel, even if it hurts."
"I don't want her to hurt—that's my problem. I'd rather fix it before she feels even an ounce of pain. It's the reason why I kept quiet so long."
"I don't want either of you to be in pain. I love you both, and I couldn't be more thrilled that you're together."
"Actually we're not together—not officially. We're dating, I guess. She wants time—and I get it. Doesn't mean I don't miss everything we were before. She's been the best friend I've ever had."
She laughed. "I love how you two regard each other. I don't think this is any ordinary love."
"It's not. If being apart has taught me anything it's that I never want separation between us. I don't do well when she's not around."
"I have a feeling that works both ways. She's stubborn, but she loves hard once she falls completely."
"I love even harder. Maybe too hard. I don't want to smother her, but then again I never want to let go."
"You two will find a balance. You're just in the early stages right now. Everything is always much more intense."
"Yeah," Hunter agreed. "It sure has been that for us. I'm just glad we're getting this time to reconnect. Maybe in the beginning I didn't make what we had seem special enough. We kinda just happened and I didn't do things like this to make her feel like it was more than just causal. I mean she knows I love her, but I need it to be more. She said she's never even been on a date. That's something I should have known and rectified immediately."
"She is very complicated yet uncomplicated when it comes to the way she loves. She's not flashy and there for a show. For her it's more about the way it feels when she's with you. So as the stand in for her father, let me give you the first date rules. You are to have her home by midnight, no drinking, and absolutely no sex."
Hunter chuckled. "I can follow those rules."
"You're a doll." She kissed his cheek. "I'm not as strict as dad. Just make sure I get to see her before she goes back on the road. I imagine you two have a lot of time to make up for. Where are you taking her?"
"Kindred for dinner, The Treehouse winery for drinks, and dancing at The Epicenter."
"That's a tall order. Since when do you like dancing?"
"I just wanted it to be a great night for her. I spent my time during the layover arranging it. I'm a horrible dancer—so is she. We stick out together. The last time we danced we were both so off beat." He laughed thinking about it.
"You stepped on my feet, but I didn't care. I had the best night." Charlotte joined in his laughter, entering the room.
"You stepped on mine too."
She looked amazing. She'd only been gone thirty minutes but appeared before him in a black dress and her hair in waves that made her green eyes pop. Her makeup was lightly done, but she was gorgeous.
"I wasn't trying to. I'm clumsy." He took her hand in his and she brushed her smooth lips over his mouth.
"Am I dressed okay?"
"No—" He answered quickly, thinking about the ideas that dress gave him. None of them appropriate for a first date. "I mean, yes."
"I guess that's good?"
"It's perfect."
"Mom, don't wait up." Charlotte gripped his hand, pulling him toward the front door.
"Have fun."
"We will."
She was in a hurry to get out of the house, and once they hit the porch he saw why. Grabbing the back of his head, fusing their lips together, she slid her tongue into his mouth. His hands found their way to her hips and he indulged. He'd missed moments like these.
Pulling himself out of her grasp, he struggled to catch his breath. "So you're not mad that I came?"
"I love it that you came. I wouldn't have asked, but I did need you here. I know it's only been a day, but I feel like we've lost a lot of time already. I don't want to keep pushing you away."
"I'm glad you don't, because I don't want to be away from you. Not even for one night. Now let's go. I have a lot planned for us."
"You know I live here, right? I think I've done everything there is to do in this town."
"But you've never done it with me. Besides, the sooner we get this date started the sooner you get that goodnight kiss."
"I'll get all the kisses I want anytime I want."
He opened her door and she stepped into the Escalade he'd rented. He held her hand as he drove, he couldn't keep his hands off of her. He didn't know how he was going to maintain this going slow thing. He was ready to say to hell with everything and spend the day making love to her. She wouldn't mind, she'd hinted at as much, but he'd promised her a date. He wouldn't break that promise.
Their dinner was nice, she'd sat next to him, her side pressed into his as he whispered in her ear, and she had the most beautiful laugh he'd ever heard floating around them. He'd offered her desert, and she'd declined, saying she was too full to move.
The winery seemed to be exactly what they needed. In their rented tree house, she'd climbed into his lap, knocking her wine glass over in the process and devoured his lips. She'd kicked her heels off and crossed her arms around him. She'd stopped at kisses, but they were enough to drive him insane. He'd had to remind himself they had another stop to make because this time he was the one out of control. He'd reached for her black lace panties and scolded himself when he'd began to tug on them. He'd let the wine go to his head. Or maybe he was just intoxicated by the one woman who made him forget any and everything but wanting her.
By the time they got to the Epicenter, she threw her hand on his gear shift and stared at him. "Hunter, I'm dying here."
"You're not having fun?"
"I'm having the best time. This was so much better than I've ever imagined a date being, but now it's time to get back to reality."
"And what's that?"
"We're having sex tonight. I know you're trying this gentleman thing, and I adore it, but I want to have you. I don't want to hear some excuse about why I can't, not tonight."
"I wasn't going to give an excuse. I just—"
"Shut up." She climbed into the backseat, pulled at his shirt, drawing him to her, and unzipped his pants, ripping them down.
"Baby, What are you— Oh shit."
She climbed on top of him, pushing his solid erection inside her. She was tight, warm, wet—so damn wet.
"Fuck." He grunted into the air. "Slow down." Her body was moving so fast he could hardly keep up. He bit his lip to keep from screaming. He'd missed her so much he was on the verge of cumming before he was ready. He didn't want to end this prematurely—not after being apart so long.
Bouncing, rolling, swaying as she took him deeper, she had him clawing at her hips. She didn't remove her dress, she just slid her panties to the side and he was still wearing all of his clothes with his pants around his ankles. Wicked ecstasy washed over him, he bit his lip feeling wave after wave of pleasure fill him.
Upward thrusts, plunging deeper into her madness, Hunter held her so tight he thought he'd break her. He was trying to keep himself in check.
Dancing her tongue down his lips, she slipped it into his mouth. "This feels so good. Mmmhh, Hunter, I missed you." Teasing his sac, swiveling her hips, she swirled her tongue in his mouth. He wondered how long she'd been saving all this pent up energy. He'd definitely have to get her this worked up again.
"I missed you too, baby." He whispered in her ear. "Charlotte, it's so good."
"I love it when you say my name that way."
Her nails were digging into his clothed chest. Her body rolled along with her eyes, signaling she was coming close to her climax. She'd flipped her hair to the side and was staring at him with her penetrating eyes. The look was enough to drive him over the edge.
"Char—Charlotte," Hunter hissed. "Baby." He gripped her hips as she slid up and down on him.
"Hunter, don't..." she pleaded. "Don't stop..."
"I don't want to. I wish—" He grabbed her tiny waist tighter and shifted to fill her with more of him. Her hips swiveled and he touched a spot he hadn't in over two months and felt the life drain from him.
"Shit," he hissed. "Shit, shit, shit."
"Hunter?" She was so tight in all the right places, and it was making him crazy. It reminded him of the first time. He'd almost bit his lip in half that night. Being with her felt so right and intense. And now, he couldn't form a full sentence as she stared at him. "You okay?"
"Yes, just don't—don't move." She bit down on his earlobe and sent chills through his entire body.
"You want me to just sit here?"
"I—I wasn't prepared for this. I want to make it last as long as I can. I just need to slow this down. I don't know when I'm going to have you again."
"This isn't the last time. It could never be the last time for us." She kissed him. "Take me where I want to go."
Sliding himself up to a sitting position, he took over, guiding her to his desired speed and her legs opened wider around him. Nuzzling his lips against her skin, he feathered kisses down her neck as he probed deeper. He heard the breath leave her before she gripped the seat behind him.
"I love you, Hunter."
"I love you too."
He kissed her lips just before she closed her eyes, falling into sweet unadulterated rapture. She laid her head on his shoulder as he held her, recovering from his own triumphant ejaculation, despite the quick pace of their romp. He hadn't thought he'd be back here for a long time. It was perfect.
"I meant to buy you flowers first." He spoke as his breathing regulated.
"You did that already." She kissed him again, dipping her tongue into his mouth once more.
"More flowers then. I'll buy you a whole flower shop after that. What has gotten into you?"
"You." She moved in his lap, and he was reminded that he was in fact still inside her.
"Well that's obvious, but I didn't want to rush you."
"You didn't. I'm exactly where I want to be."
He ran his fingers through her hair, tilting her head to the side. "How do you feel?"
"Like the luckiest woman in the world. You did all this just to give me a good night. You flew all the way from Sacramento and probably went through hell to get here. I couldn't have asked for a better date."
"You didn't let me finish it."
"We're going inside. I just couldn't wait any longer. I feel like it's been forever, and I wasn't sure I could make it through tonight without having you. Everything has been so perfect, and I couldn't think of anything that would make this better other than being with you. It's always the best feeling in the world when we're together."
"I don't think I would have held up past tonight either. When I'm with you nothing else matters," he admitted.
"I always knew I wanted to be with you. It wasn't me questioning how I felt or if we'd ever be together again. I just needed to feel secure. I lost my way with all the things that happened, and I was trying to figure out what I needed to do. I always loved you. I need you to know that I'll always love you no matter what. I just needed to figure that out for myself. I thought it would take me longer, but talking to my mom really opened my eyes. It's why I called. I just wanted to see you, it was like nothing else mattered."
He slid both hands into her hair and looked at her. She truly was perfect.
"Then let's dance."
Offbeat, off key, stepping on each other's feet, they danced the rest of the night after getting cleaned up. He'd pulled up to her house to drop her off, offering a goodnight kiss, and she pulled him inside with her. Leading him to her room, she told him their goodnight kiss would have to turn into good morning.
He'd wanted to hold her after making love, she'd allowed him that comfort twice over. He wanted to refrain in her room, but the temptation was too great. He'd taken her slowly and explored her body in ways he felt he hadn't in so long. He'd bought condoms for just in case, but he he'd lost them somewhere along the way. He hadn't expected anything, but he wanted to be ready if it happened. She hadn't brought up condoms either time. She trusted him. He couldn't have been happier.
They stayed up most of the night talking. Laying comfortably in his arms, she fell asleep, and it felt better than ever before. He stayed, waking at six in the morning to sneak out of the window before her mother caught them. He laughed, this was exactly like a first date. Getting into his car, he saw her mother on the porch and realized he was busted.
"Where do you think you're going?"
"I umm—"
"Breakfast will be ready soon. I'm sure you had a long night."
The walk of shame had gotten even more embarrassing. At least she didn't know they'd slept together—twice. He'd never live that down.
"You dropped these in the hallway." She handed him his unopened box of condoms. It was official, he would never be able to look her in the eye again.