Revelations

Rosaliy

Rosaliy watched everyone scatter with new purpose. Since he had been given no task, Drake had to choose his own direction. Rosaliy decided now was the only time she might have to talk to him alone. However, her brother Cade had the same idea, and he was faster.

Rosaliy hung back, just around the corner from where Cade had intercepted Drake.

"You have nothing to worry about," Drake was saying bitterly. "I have no intention of staying."

"Oh." Cade's voice was surprised.

Rosaliy's heart sank. They were both quiet. Rosaliy wanted so badly to peek around the corner to see if they had walked on, but Cade finally spoke again.

"I expected to have an argument about breaking her heart and all that."

"No need," Drake answered in a clipped tone.

That had killed the conversation again. Or maybe somebody had stomped off. Rosaliy was annoyed they were having this conversation at all. She should be having this conversation. She very nearly jumped in to interrupt them, but she did not.

"You really are in love with her," Cade said after the pause.

That was a confusing and alarming leap. She could have strangled her brother.

"Best not walk around announcing it," Drake groused. "Or she'll never let me leave."

"I don't understand you at all," said Cade incredulously.

"I don't understand me either," Drake admitted.

That was neither confirmation or denial. What did it mean?

"Are you finished?" Drake asked.

"No," said Cade. "Yes. Maybe? I'm feeling kind of sorry for you. You probably should stay."

"You're very convincing," said Drake in a deadpan. "I'll take it under advisement."

"Really, though, Rose cares about you."

Yes, she was really going to strangle her brother. Possibly both of them the way this conversation was going.

"She cares about everyone," Drake snapped.

"It's different with you," Cade said.

Rosaliy could feel her cheeks flush. She hadn't even known; how did he?

That one seemed to stump Drake. "Is that everything?" he finally asked.

"For now," Cade said, trying to get the last word. "Oh, and when you do see Rose, King Hale wanted to speak to her as soon as she had a minute. He has...well, he'll tell her. It doesn't seem like much of anything, truth be told."

Footsteps resumed on the marble passage. Rosaliy ducked behind a column as Cade hurried past. She was going to have words with him about meddling, but not right now. Drake was headed to his new best friend Daniella's former room. He was just a few turns away, and she could take a shortcut through the room across from her. She waffled over catching up to him or not. What was she going to say? She had no idea. But she knew she had no other opportunity to say it, so she had to say something. She flew in one side of the storage room and out the other, unkindly intercepting Drake just as he was rounding the corner. She managed to startle him, probably because he was preoccupied and had every intention of sneaking off without speaking to her.

"Congratulations," she said in a rush. "Assuming you decide to stay."

"You've heard?" His blank-eyed, frozen deer expression told her he had definitely intended to sneak off without speaking to her.