Book 3 Sneak Peek 2

Another sneak peek at book 3 in the Gates of Thread and Stone series. As such, there will be spoilers. Also, this is an early draft and subject to change.

* * * * *

Something darted overhead. I startled, ducking and scanning the skies. A blast of wind ripped my hood off my head. I wrestled with the fabric, struggling to see past the hair whipping against my cheeks. I jerked my hood into place again as the rhythmic whump of heavy wings circled above. A couple steps in front of me, Kronos paused. Then he snapped back his robe, his hand darting out to grip my wrist.

Something metal, black, and winged landed in a crouch before us. My heart clawed into my throat. I went for the torch blade sheathed at my waist, but the pressure of Kronos's fingers around my wrist stopped me from drawing it.

The creature straightened. A chill snaked through me. Every instinct I possessed told me to run. Instead, I held my breath and tried to take comfort in the fact Kronos seemed undaunted by its presence.

It stood over a head taller than Kronos and had a humanlike shape, but it was constructed from a dusky metal. Gray rods coiled through its arms, legs, and neck like muscles and wrapped around its torso like ribs. Where its eyes and nose should have been, there was only the ridged center of metal wires that radiated outward, curving around its head. Beneath the warped bits of metal that connected over its chest, a red glow emanated, as if an energy stone lay nestled within. My fingers tightened around the hilt of my blade as the creature unfurled its enormous wings, panels of scarred metal that stretched to twice its height.

Its gash of a mouth opened, hissing. Slick black saliva oozed between rotting teeth. It smelled rancid, like spoiled meat. Its body might be metal, but there was something organic inside it. Something alive.

It pointed at me with metal claws. Kronos yanked me against his side, nearly enveloping me in his robes. I stumbled, catching myself on his arm, and noticed instantly the sudden stillness—the threads encircled him like a shield, and the wind bent around him, not daring to stir even a strand of his hair.

"She's with me," he said. His voice vibrated through me, a physical thing that rumbled the earth.

The creature's wings twitched. Its mouth stretched wide again. It spoke in a language I couldn't understand, it's high, airy voice like razors against my skin. I straightened so that I wasn't leaning against Kronos's side. The moment I stepped away from him, the gusting winds returned, tangling the hem of my cloak around my legs.

"She was born of this world," Kronos said. His hand remained around my wrist. "That is all you need to know."

The creature released a shrill scream that made me want to curl into a ball and press my palms against my ears. Then its metal wings swept downward, and the creature shot into the sky. Dust swirled around us in its wake. I pulled my wrist out of Kronos's grip and waved away the choking dryness that coated my lungs with every inhale.

Kronos's eye tracked the movements of the other creatures that spotted the sky. Then he gave me slight nod and turned his back to me, continuing on.

I hurried after him, careful to copy his steps. "What was that thing?" I asked.

"Border guard," Kronos said curtly. "You are not yet fully Infinite. It felt you didn't belong."

I considered this. "What would it have done with me if—"

"It would be better not to wonder such things."