Chapter 8

Kory sat on the bench in the suit-room, watching Rachel closely.
She stood inside an empty slot, her raven hair messy and her eyes red (Not the demonic kind, but the "I've tried not to cry" kind of red).
"Why didn't you tell me Jason was missing?" The alien wondered, her voice curious, not judging.
"I didn't know."
Nodding in understanding, Kory sighed. "But the team is out there, looking for him?"
"Yeah, Dick's got a satellite searching for Jason's tracker."

She seemed distracted, like there was something else weighting down on her. Kory felt a pang of guilt for not being there before, letting Rachel alone with her trauma to deal with. "So, what else is up?" She asked, "With you?"
Rachel seemed torn between telling her and declining that something was wrong, but after a few seconds of hesitation, she sat down next to her, staring at her hands.

"After Trigon, I thought that all my trauma would be over."
"Is he back?"
"No." The girl looked up, a devastation in her eyes that made Kory's heart bleed.

Rachel continued. "I just thought that I'd be normal, you know. But... all boys, no school, the non-stop training..." she trailed off and Kory encouraged her to carry on. "And?"
"And this."
Lifting her shirt, Rachel revealed long bloody marks along her back. Kory winced, anger boiling inside of her. Who did that to her girl?
"What is that?" She asked gently, though she felt like burning someone's eyes out, but she didn't want to scare Rachel, so she kept her rage concealed.

"This thing comes out when I sleep. Gar said it looked like... a black cloud filled with razor blades."
She sighed softly. "The other day I almost choked out Jason."

"When did this start?"
"After Trigon. At first I thought that it was punishment, or that he came back somehow." She paused and Kory placed a hand on her shoulder. It was a simple gesture, but it hold much meaning. It promised protection and that Rachel wasn't alone.
"But this isn't Trigon, I can feel it, he's gone. It's me."

The young girl turned to fully face her, sitting cross-legged now.
"When my father ripped out my heart, I changed. I turned into something different, something I can't control. And I know it sounds crazy-"
"No, it doesn't," interrupted Kory, shaking her head. "Not at all. On my planet, we have a word for it. Transfiguration. All babies wear soar bracelets in order to suppress the ability to make starfire and so they may reach maturity and control their powers."

She hold up her wrist, so Rachel could see the piece of jewellery.
"Normally, this works, but not for me."
"Why?"
"I don't know. My powers just wouldn't stay caged."
She leaned forward. It was important for Rachel to understand where she was going with this. "People like us, we're destined to be special, Rachel. Maybe that's why this is happening to you. The more you try to suppress your powers, the more they'll resist."

"But the prophecy you found, it said I'd destroy worlds."
"Or save worlds. We are not born good or bad, the choices we make define our destiny."
The older girl sighed and continued, "Trigon chose darkness, I'll have to choose what my future holds. And so will you."
"So that's it?" Rachel smiled. "I just decide... to be good." It wasn't a question and Kory smiled back. That's what she was talking about. No one can choose your destiny, you'll have to make your own.
"Basically, yes."

"It's good to have you back," admitted Rachel and leaned against her side, her head dropping on her shoulder.
Kory hummed in agreement, her hand playing with Rachel's hair. "It's good to be back."
___

Rachel and Kory decided to get something to eat while the team was looking for Jason.
They were bickering about whether to make pancakes or waffles (though Kory totally digged waffles) and didn't notice the two other teenagers that seemingly had the same idea and were sitting around the kitchen counter.