Chapter 5: 'Under Control'

You could tell their was a mental block hiding inside his head. Constantly blocking his conscious. It seemed obvious, but does he know? Jack was leading us, to Tenebaum. I was following. Have you ever looked into someone's eyes, and gotten a bad feeling? They say when you look in to someone's eyes, you're looking into their soul. - Destiny

   "Monster, monster!" The little one screamed, beckoning with her quivering finger. The large tin man ran with heavy foot steps towards the man. His face was pulled into an unpleasantly terrified expression. He dropped the red wrench in his hand to the floor, and took off out of the room. As he ran away, the big daddy still followed. Heavier on his trail than before.

"Better him than us." Jack laughed.

"That man is going to be injured!"

"He's a splicer. It doesn't matter."

"A what?"

"A bunch of abusive consuming Adam addicts."

"Do you do Adam?" I asked, not really wanting his answer. More afraid of the answer.

"Yeah, I have, and I still do. But I'm not like those junkies, that kill, just to get their hands on it."

  We walked through Olympus Heights. It was very lonely, surprisingly. I couldn't help but feel something breathe down my neck, or watch from a distance. "Ring, ring, ring...." I heard before a turret from the corner started firing. Jack pushed me behind the wall, covering me from the ricochet.

 As we hid behind the wall, waiting patiently. The turret stopped. Did it run out of bullets? Jack leaped from the wall inside the room and shot the turret with his hand. The blue flash brightened the dimly lit room. As I beckoned closer and closer to the edge. Jack leaped out at me. "Boo." I  screamed and fell to the floor, covering my head.

I could hear Jack in a laughing fit. "What's so funny?" I accused pulling myself to my feet. "You get scared way to easily." He said not breaking his laugh. "Yeah, well I was afraid the turret was going to shoot me!"

"Don't worry. I have it," He pointed to it, "under control."  The turret was popping and sparking. It was just a few seconds for my nerve to calm down, before once again adrenaline was racing through me. The turret stood back up, with it's red light blinking, and the turret let off more rounds. I ran out of the room ducking my head, as Jack followed.

"Yeah, under control!" I screamed, "Is that what you call under control!?"

  Honestly Jack was the last person who had control.

We hid behind a desk listening to the bullets ricochet. A booming speaker came from the corner of the room. They cleared their throat before a raspy voice sounded over head. "This is Sander Cohen, requesting the return of a stolen item." He clears his throat once more, voice as loud as a foghorn, "NOW I am a man of my WORD if you GIVE ME my opening piece back I WILL not KILL you." The wall was coated with red fluid "Adam denies us any excuse for not being beautiful" 

"Yeah as if." Jack says pulling his pistol from under his coat. "If ya want her come get her." I looked at Jack as if he was a ghost. "Did you just offer me to that loony bin?" I croaked under my breath. Suddenly Cohen's dry lips separate with a wet pink tongue standing in front of us. He licked his lips, "Do we have a deal?" 

Jack's answer was to shock Cohen, he danced like a live wire. "Wow I have got to say that is so much fun." Jack laughed behind a gruesome grin. He shot a swarm of bees this time at Cohen as he frantically tweaked and swatted them from the air. His hair stood up on every inch of his body. He fell over onto his knees before crashing down onto the floor face down.

"Oh my god, is he dead!?" 

"No, he's stunned. I think he'll just wake up with a bad headache." 

"A bad headache, and 2nd degree burns." 

"Those too."

The intercom sounded again over top of us, filling the room like an unavoidable gas. "I don't LIKE YOU coming around HERE! --YOU'RE NOT welcome HERE!" She laughs like a maniac, " YOU KNOW what we DO to tressssspasssserss!" She says as she snakes the s. 

"oh come on, we just got done fighting someone. Let's get out of here, this place is too much for me." Jack says packing his gun deeper in his pants waist.

  As we continued to run, Jack dropped to his knees. My thought was he was wounded. As I went to his level, I called his name, "Jack!? Jack!?" He only responded in grunts. His eyes bulged, and his teeth gritted together. His hands beat furiously on his head.
I waited with him for ten minutes. I clutched his gun desperately hoping it would calm myself.

I didn't want to shoot Jack, but with whatever magical voodoo this guy decides to shoot out his hand at me; I decided I would have to.