Head Over Heels

Stretching her muscles stiff from sitting rigidly in the lounge chair, Raven watched as the clerical staff chatted jovially behind the desk. The more they laughed and giggled, the more her irritation grew.

She felt a compulsion to march over to the desk and ask if one of them could find out any news on Beth's condition. Though illogical, the cheery atmosphere irked her.

From the way the others in the waiting room stared at them vexed, they shared her temperament.

An hour had passed since medics rushed Beth to the emergency. No one from the emergency staff, not a doctor or nurse, came to give an update. Not knowing made Raven feel anxious. No news is good news right, she thought, wanting to be positive. It wasn't working.

Rian tapped her shoulder. "Here you go." He handed her a cup of coffee. "Thanks," she said, taking the disposable cup from his hand. Their fingers touched.

She took a sip and grimaced. The investigator, though well-meaning, had added cream and sugar to the coffee. From the sugary taste, he'd added too much sugar. 

She set the coffee aside on the magazine table beside the chair.

A dark-haired man wearing a lab coat with a stethoscope wrapped around his neck stepped out of the restricted door with an access badge clamped onto his coat pocket.

"Ms. Raven Vashti?" 

She lumbered to her feet. "That's me," she said. 

"I'm Dr. Kipling overseeing the care of the patient."

 "How is Beth?" Raven said. 

"Ms. Paisley is awake and alert," the doctor replied.

"The baby?" Raven asked next. 

"We are monitoring the baby's heartbeat for any irregularities. So far, there are no abnormalities," the doctor said.

Raven clapped her hands together in a prayer of thanks. "I'm so glad." 

"We will admit Ms. Paisley to stay overnight to continue to monitor the situation," the doctor said. 

"Will I be able to see her?"

"She is being moved to a room. You should be able to visit her once she's comfortable," the doctor replied. 

She grabbed the doctor's hand and shook it in a gesture of thanks. "Thank you so much," she said. "You're welcome," the doctor said.

"One more thing," she said. "How is Angelica?" 

"She is being discharged," the doctor said. 

"Thanks again," Raven said. "Thank you, doctor," Rian chimed in, having remained silent for most of the conversation.

Using his badge, the doctor unlocked the restricted door and stepped inside; it clicking shut behind him.

Looking over at Rian with gladness, Raven embraced him. 

Startled at her impulsiveness, he wrapped his arms around her waist. 

Raven sniffled. "I don't know what I would have done if she—"

"Hey," he said, stepping back. He lifted her chin. "She didn't.  She survived." 

"Thanks to you," Raven said. 

"I did nothing that anyone else wouldn't have done," he said. 

She gazed into his eyes.  "You're a good person."

He kissed her, caressing her cheek. 

Wide-eyed at the lip lock, Raven gasped. 

He broke the kiss, his breathing labored.  "I'm sorry.  I got caught up in the heat of the moment."