Chapter 3: GETTING LUCKY

I needed to go for a run. I hadn't seen much of Norman beyond the main drags, so I figured I could map out the town while getting some exercise. Kill two birds with one stone.

It was still dark as I set out running down our long, steep driveway, hitting the button on the fob clipped at my waist to open the gate at the bottom.

Jesus. Yet another gated house in yet another gated community. I swear, I've been living behind bars my entire life.

I ran past the gatehouse and gave the morning guard a wave, then continued through to the center of town. Past the shops and around the bend was Lenape Lake, another tiny subset of Norman proper. The sun had started its rise by then, shooting flecks of bronze across the water, and for whatever reason, I found myself thinking about Layla Warren.

The lap around the lake was marked, showing that I'd logged two entire miles by the time I made it back to the pub where I'd started. I turned the corner toward home again just as the sunlight seeped into the street.

Once I hit Cedar, I started into a sprint, keeping up the faster pace past the gatehouse and all the way up North Road. I didn't stop running until I hit my driveway, where I bent over in exhaustion trying to catch my breath. I'd have to log the distance in my truck to be sure, but I estimated I'd just run close to five miles.

I showered, dressed, and got my gear together. St. Nicetius didn't have a hockey team, but I was looking forward to checking out that sports complex Dad told me about to see if I could grab some ice time after work a few days a week until the official season kicked off.

After my Bronco was loaded, it was time to head off to school.

Day Two.

* * *

First period was World History where Mr. Sasso proved no more electrifying than he'd been yesterday, followed by AP Biology where some girl named Barbara slipped me her phone number, followed by Computer Lab where the redhead picked up where she'd left off the day before. Turns out, her name was Margie, and she was dead set on letting me know she was very available, which I couldn't have cared less about. It's not that she was a bad-looking broad, I just wasn't into redheads.

Or aggravation.

Lunch period was a welcome reprieve from my monotonous morning. I didn't even need to think about it before sitting down at the Alpha Table. It was an unspoken acceptance.

Rymer was already in full ballbusting mode, taking shots at Sargento for his piano tie which had us all cracking up.

And then I saw Layla.

She came over to the table with her pretzel and didn't bother to say hi as she sat down next to Lisa. I'd spent the past twenty-four hours trying to convince myself that my reaction to her had been overblown, but she looked just as gorgeous as I'd remembered from the day before.

Before I had the chance to say hello, I noticed Cooper scowling at me for merely aiming my eyes in her direction. Damn, if looks could kill. I wondered if he was her boyfriend. He sure as hell was acting territorial enough to be.

The guys were talking about the party again, and I was glad to be reminded that there'd finally be some action in this town. But really, I was only half paying attention. I was too busy waiting for Layla to acknowledge my existence while simultaneously hoping Cooper Benedict would ignore it. Dude was a hulking monster, and apparently a jealous one at that.

I was grateful for the distraction when Rymer started in on him, busting his ass. "Dude. Your sister totally wants me. You gotta tell her to come to my party Saturday night."