Chapter 2

The hotel suite that doubled as an undercover headquarters was deadly silent, as every member of the police task force stared ahead at the security footage streaming through the monitors. In the background, the faint ticking of a clock could be heard.

Onscreen four different video outputs played, featuring four different people, all placed in a separate solitary confinement cell. In one room Light Yagami, the young man with the light brown hair, sat quietly on the floor with his back against his cot. In the next his father, Soichiro Yagami, the Chief of Police, sat at the foot of his cot with his head in his hands. In the last two rooms, two young women were strapped to vertical cots with blindfolds over their eyes. The first woman, still just a girl really, was blonde and petite—Misa Amane, the teen pop star who was currently all the rage among tabloids. The second woman was Jubilee.

Closest to the monitors sat a pale man who was crouched on his chair like a monkey, hunching over to stare intensely at the screen. Thick black hair fell into his eyes but he didn't blink as he chewed the tip of his thumb, observing the four people onscreen.

"Watari," he said in a soft voice, breaking the silence. "Remind me again what Misa Amane revealed during the first seventy-two hours of her confinement."

An elderly gentleman in a suit stepped up beside the man crouched in the chair. "Very little," he replied. "As you may remember, she pleaded to be killed, then attempted to, quite literally, bite her tongue before we were able to restrain and gag her. Since then she has not spoken...until as of late."

"Hey, Mr. Stalker Man!" cried the young girl's voice from onscreen. "Are you still watching me, you pervert? Just you wait until my boyfriend Light gets a hold of you!"

"Hmm," said the pale man, eyes narrowing. "Yes, I remember."

"This is wrong, L!" cried a younger policeman all of a sudden. "We can't—"

"Don't call me that, Matsuda," said L sharply.

"Sorry, I mean...uh...Ryuzaki. Or...Ryuga?" He turned to the older police officer standing next to him. "Which alias was it that he uses here again?" he whispered. The older man, Aizawa, rolled his eyes.

"Well, whichever!" declared Matsuda with renewed vigor. "We can't keep two young ladies tied up, underground, for almost a whole week! It's injust!"

"That's not a word, Matsuda," said the man in the chair calmly.

"Er...unjust! Either way! L—I mean, Ryuzaki...this is not right."

The other officers in the room remained silent, shifting uncomfortably.

"Watari," said L again, ignoring the young police officer. "Please pull up the initial interrogation for the other young woman."

"Yes, Ryuzaki," said the older gentleman obediently. An image of a video from six days ago immediately popped up on the screen and began playing.

"What is your name?" came an artificial voice from off camera.

The young woman in the video lifted her head, startled. Dark brown hair fell away from her face. Her eyes were blindfolded, like they still were now.

"I—" she began, her voice a nervous high pitch. "My name...is Julie. Julie Amachi."

"As it says on your ID."

The woman nodded slowly in assurance of this fact, though the gulp in her throat suggested something otherwise.

"Miss Amachi," continued the voice. "You are here on charges of being the second Kira. Do you confess?"