Chapter 5 ~ Hunter

Unedited

Chapter 5: Hunter
~

Morning fog swirled like smoke along the undergrowth, twisting and winding around the trees. My mother told me when I was young that mist showed when Sidhe were near. Fairies. I'd long since stopped believing that but standing here, in this new land, with drops of dew glistening in the low sun, it could have been true.

The forest was silent this morning, as if watching me as I crept low to the ground. I'd woken a while ago to hear Lucas explain to Paula how I'd never have been able to take down the doe last night alone. Despite knowing he was trying to gain her approval, I was eager to prove him wrong. I'd bring my prey with me to the pack and offer it to them. That would be my thanks for allowing me to stay with them.

Lucas explained how to find the pack. I'd told him that I wanted to explore a little before making my way to the pack but I knew he'd seen the glint of challenge in my eyes. He knew I'd heard what he said to Paula.

As long as I kept the river to my left, I'd eventually find myself on the packs inner territory. From there it would be easy to find the Alpha's home if I wasn't found my scouts. I'd make sure they remembered my entrance. I had a good day to hunt and as I trailed along a worn mud path, my excitement grew.

The musty scent of my prey hung heavy in the air and it was easy to follow it to a heavily grassy area of the forest. I'd found the wounded deer not long after I'd left our makeshift camp but was waiting for my moment, even losing sight of it a few times in my confidence I would catch it.

There was something else lingering amongst the mist though, another scent I couldn't place. It was so strong that it clung to the back of my throat with every inhale. Yet I saw no danger, could sense no threat.

The deer stepped out of the shadows then, completely focussed on eating what it could. Taking another creeping step forward, my eyes focussed on the angry, bleeding tears in the deers hind. I faltered. What could leave wounds like that? Had another wolf tried and failed to make this it's prey? My shoulders rolled. I felt confident that I'd succeed and thanked whatever had hobbled it for me.

Scenting the air again, that thick scent filled my nose again and an unease filled my belly. I couldn't see anything out of place and there were no other wolves nearby that I could smell. I wish I knew what belonged to that scent. I shook off the unease as nerves and steadied myself. Lifting my paw, winding myself back to spring into action, I let instincts take over. Darting forward, the deer bleated in terror, long legs flailing about. I should have paused when the deer didn't pick a direction to flee. I should have realised that meant there truly was danger lurking.

I learned then what the mystery scent was. Fear flickered violently as the huge brown bear barrelled from the trees, roaring it's sound that shook the ground. I panicked, unsure of what to do as the deer lashed out and scrambled to get away. But the bear wasn't interested in the injured deer that wouldn't get far. It's wild black eyes were on me. Fur stood up on end, my tail raised high as if one wolf could scare it away. I backed away slowly, growling and snapping sharp fangs in its direction, hoping to intimidate it. It wasn't deterred and there was a wildness to its eyes that shook me to my core. I slipped in the damp grass as it swung out with a heavy paw. It caught me off guard, flinging my body to one side and the sting of torn flesh grew as something in my shoulder popped.

The pain was dulled by the adrenaline rushing through my veins and I managed to force myself back onto my paws. Keeping my front right paw off the ground, I wondered if this was how I'd die as the bear came at me again.

Injured or not, I'd put up a fight.

I stumbled back further, my fear growing when I could see something else moving in the darkness of the trees. The bear paused, small ears twitching and it was suddenly unconcerned with me as a huge, shaggy black mass flew from the forest to land on its back. As the adrenaline faded, I could feel my shoulder again. It was hard to make sense of what I was seeing through the blinding pain. The two creatures growls were like thunder to my ears and I couldn't look away as this new creature attacked with ferocity.