Blood Moon - Book 2 - Blood Series

Linda Danvers was putting on her sweater as she walked out of the door of Sam’s Restaurant.  She had turned twenty-two the night before and had stayed up all night with her girlfriends celebrating only to be called in to fill in for one of the gals at the restaurant who had gone into labor an hour ago.  Her head was throbbing, her feet were killing her and she felt she was about to drop from exhaustion, but she agreed.  She’d go home and sleep for about 2 hours and come back to pick up the shift. 

She was renting a house with a girlfriend just around the corner from Sam’s.  It was perfect.  She didn’t have to have a car since hers had died a month back and there was no way she could afford a new engine for the clunker.  The car itself wasn’t worth the cost they quoted her for the repairs. 

She pulled her tips from her pocket and was counting them, along with pulling out the paper straw wrappers that had accumulated, when she rounded the corner to her street where there stood a huge lilac bush. It always smelled so good to her and right now it was in full bloom.  She stuffed the money in her pocket and closed her eyes as she took a big whiff of the lilac bush, when she was hit from behind and everything went black.

***

Blake had been sitting on the couch petting Harry, Darby’s enormous cat, waiting for Rowan, Devon and Darby to come home from Colorado.  The 25-pound cat purred at Blake as he continued to pet his long black fur and white tummy. Harry squinted his eyes as he looked up at the six foot four handsome vampire with wild chocolate brown eyes.  Blake had a devilish smile to go with those wild eyes that brought most women he encountered to their knees. But he wouldn’t be smiling anytime soon. He had really messed things up with Rowan, his girlfriend – maybe even lost her for good.

While he waited, he reflected back on his transgressions. A man named Terrence Paine had recently kidnapped Rowan. Up until now, Blake and his brother Devon had always eluded Terrence’s attempts at killing them, but when Terrence heard that Blake was involved with someone, he took it as an opportunity to finally trap the boys.  He kidnapped Rowan, flew her to Maine and injected her with werewolf blood in hopes of killing her.  He figured with Blake being in an intimate relationship with Rowan, he most likely had turned her to a vampire, but he hadn’t.  Instead of dying from the werewolf blood and vampire blood fighting to the death inside her, Rowan instead was turned into a werewolf. 

This is when things really started to fall apart for Blake and he started making mistake after mistake.  He had grown up believing werewolves were horrible beasts that killed with no remorse or reason. As the reality of what Rowan would turn into solidified in Blake’s mind, he pulled away from everyone. He was scared and confused. He wanted to help Rowan – Fix the problem – cure her somehow, but when it became apparent that there was no cure, he ran from her and his brother.  Along the way he put Darby, Rowan’s sister and Devon’s girlfriend, in danger and left her for dead. He also hid pertinent information from his brother, and broke the law, but his worst act of lunacy was leaving Rowan when she most needed him.

Darby and Blake had gone to Colorado to seek out Dean Wolfe who is a werewolf. Darby and Blake felt that if they could talk to Dean, he could give them all the information they needed about werewolves, and maybe help Rowan.

Dean is a very strong lean six foot two, shaggy brown haired, hazel-eyed guy with a perpetually stern face. He didn’t much like being asked about his personal life by two strangers and Blake and he had a terrible fight. Darby was accidentally wounded in their scuffle. Blake, wounded himself, thought Darby was dead and fled Colorado, heading for Connecticut. Devon had tried to talk him out of going, when he called to tell him they had found Darby and she was in surgery. What a mess he had made of things, leaving Rowan, his brother and Darby too, for that matter. That’s why he was here sitting, waiting and petting the purring Harry.