Plans

Sherlock wrapped a scarf around his neck as he ran on deck to meet John. John was standing on the deck looking out at the skyline of New York City and Sherlock noted with sorrow that his face looked troubled. “Well, I must put a stop to that immediately,” Sherlock thought as he wrapped his arms around John’s waist and kissed him on the neck.

John turned into Sherlock’s arms and smiled, “Sherlock…” John whispered and then cleared his throat before he totally lost it. “I didn’t get any sleep last night; I’m scared but excited too.”

Sherlock nodded and was about to say, “Me too,” when his phone beeped stating he had a message. At about the same time John’s phone beeped as well. They both looked at their phones read then messages and then swapped phones so that they could each read each other’s messages.

Sherlock’s message read: “Darling, can’t wait to see you, I’ll be waiting at the dock. Love Nina.”

John’s message read. “Sweetheart can’t wait to see you, be at the dock counting the seconds.”

As they both handed their phones back to the original owner, Sherlock and John felt the enormity of their situation bearing down on them. John was the first to speak, “John, I’ve been thinking, in addition to my detective cases, I want to paint and compose again. I mean both of us are definitely going to have some lifestyle changes. No champagne etc.”

John smiled happily at Sherlock, “Well, how do you feel about beer?”

Sherlock grinned back, “It sounds wonderful. Now I was thinking where are we going to meet in New York?”

John thought for a few moments and then snapped his fingers, “I know in six months, let’s meet at the top of the Empire State Building.”

Sherlock nodded, “That will be like heaven…I mean that sounds sort of corny doesn’t it?”

John loved how shy Sherlock was when he spoke. “Sherlock, I am already missing you.”

Sherlock reached out to pull John into an embrace, but the loud speaker overhead announced that the ship be pulling into harbor soon. Glancing up in irritation, Sherlock frowned and rubbed John’s arm. “We’d better get ready to face things, our ship ride is almost over,” Sherlock said apprehensively he patted John on the arm.

John nodded, “We should make a plan B in case one of us can’t make it. You know something dire, unavoidable”

Sherlock shook his head, “Nope, we’ll be there come hell or high water,” he said as his eyes devoured the sight of his sweetheart Doctor that he would not see for six months.

John gripped Sherlock’s hand, brought it to his lips and then reluctantly pulled away to get ready to disembark.

As Sherlock Holmes, walked down the gangway, the area was full of photographers and news cameras waiting to catch every move he made as walked down the ramp over to where Nina stood waving frantically.

John stood behind Sherlock as the cameras blinded them both, after a few shots, John excused himself on the pretense of a special engagement. As he moved past Sherlock, Sherlock lightly touched his arm and even though his touch was light, it felt as if John’s arm had caught fire, as he put his hand over the place in an attempt to memorize the feeling of Sherlock’s touch on his arm. John looked through the crowd and waved as he spotted Sharon. Before he made his way over to where Sharon waited for him, John spared one more backwards glance at Sherlock. Sherlock caught his eye and even though he was being swallowed up by the crowd, Sherlock maintained eye contact with John as long as he could.

Nina chatted nonstop on the way back to their penthouse. “Now, Sherlock let me take a look at you. Hmm that purple shirt is a bit wrinkled, but it will have to do for the interview.”

Sherlock snapped his head around to face her, “What interview?”

Nina smiled and signed, “Oh, Sherlock, you forgot? Well, no matter, my publicist will clue us both in.”

Sherlock nodded and looked out the window as trees, buildings and cars rushed by and Sherlock’s heart felt heavy, for with each tree, each car and each building that whipped by  he was being carried further away from John.

Sharon studied John’s face on the cab ride home, “John, I thought that the cruise would be good for you, but you look pale and tired. Is everything okay?”

John smiled absent mindedly and said, “I’m fine, just fine…”

By the time they reached their appointment John was exhausted and when Sharon opened the door, John turned on the T.V. and plopped down on the couch.

The show was some type of interview show and John leaned forward in excitement when he noticed that Sherlock was one of the guests.

Sherlock swatted at the makeup person, “I don’t need that stuff.”

The makeup person looked at Nina who just smiled benignly at the T.V. crew and shrugged her shoulders.

Without further ado the crew began filming and the interviewer asked Sherlock, “So, when is the wedding going to be?”

Sherlock stared pointedly at the camera and said, “Six months.”

The interviewer looked a little surprised and asked, “Six months?”

Sherlock nodded affirmatively, “Yes, we will be married in New York six months from now and I plan to help support my partner by painting, composing, and detective cases.”

The interviewer looked confused again, “You already have a house full of priceless paintings and art treasures.”

Sherlock leaned forward, “It’s just as I said I plan to get married in six months, and in the meantime I will work on painting, composing and my detective cases.”

Sharon came and sat down next to John as he watched the interview, “I bet she never gets him to the altar. Hey, John, isn’t that Sherlock Holmes?”

John nodded, “Uh haw.”

“Wasn’t he on the same cruise as you?”

John nodded again, “Uh haw.”

“Was he handsome and irresistible?”

John nodded again, “Uh haw.”

Sharon grabbed the remote and turned off the T.V., “John, what are you saying?”

John looked down at the ground, “I didn’t plan it. We just fell in love.”

Sharon and John didn’t speak as they silently contemplated the bombshell John had just laid them.