2: Trouble in Paradise

Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced, scanned, or distributed in any printed or electronic form without permission. 

Link to the map: http://i.imgur.com/gC6JlYq.jpg (Also included on the side for reference)

:  C H A P T E R  T W O  :

            Ambrose looked no different from when I last saw him. His hair was short and blonde, almost white, and his skin was just the same. He was pale and looked striking in his faded suit of grays and reds. I noted how he had his hands clasped in front of him in a slightly nervous way, and how he came to attention when I entered the room.

            Neither one of us said a thing until I was close enough for him to reach out for my hand. I had not realized I had my hands bundled around my family's crested medallion until I let him take my palms and bend down to kiss my knuckles. I nearly melted when his calloused yet soft hands touched my skin. "Would you like to take a walk with me?" he asked.

            Do not leave the suite without a guard, Conroy had warned.

            "Yes, of course," I agreed, and shared a brief glance with one of the guards at the door. He nodded and opened the door for us, and when we exited, so did he. We were followed at a safe distance so as not to be heard.

            Ambrose walked at my pace, and kept his hands clasped behind him. "This is your first time going to a celebration and being of age, right?" he said, even though we both knew it was right. We knew all the royals our age, and knew beforehand when celebrations were going to be held, and there had not been any others between mine and Eli's.

            "Yeah, I guess I should be keeping track now," I mused softly, looking out towards the paintings on the walls of the corridors. It kept my mind off of the thought of how he walked with his shoulders back and his head high, like a man preparing the bowstring and notching an arrow up to his cheek.

            I was reminded of his Coming of Age celebration, when we did not know each other all that well, yet we still danced and went our separate ways. Theo and I spent so long out in the forests without supervision, and jumped the estate boarder so we could run the horse trails. Sir Ambrose of Res'rustica was one of those traditional men of his culture who rode horses bareback and hunted in the birch wood forests with his friends. The mountains there were white and orange in the fall, and gorgeous at sunrise and set. If I could go anywhere other than Damunt, Res'rustica was the next best place.

            And I thought about the fantasy of horseback riding alongside Ambrose through the birch forests.

            "Have the leaves turned colors yet?" I asked, this time looking up to him where a small smile came upon his lips.

            "It's beautiful. Before leaving I went on a run with my father, and the leaves are falling now. The streams are starting to freeze over at night," he informed me. "You should visit sometime."

            My ears went red, and I hastily made sure my hair was covering them.

            "I remember when we were talking earlier, you mentioned how you loved the forests back in my home country. I figured you'd enjoy seeing them again," he added quickly, which caused my game face to break a little just so I could smile.

            "That would be incredible! Perhaps I could convince my father to arrange a visit. You talked about the waterfalls by the mountains--we could go there and hike," I suggested, taking the bold move to grip onto his arm. His amber eyes met mine, and for the moment we were both on board with the idea.