19 ♛ A Puzzle

- Li Xun -

In the study hall, Li Xun sat across from his teacher.

He was currently being educated on the qualities that a great emperor should possess; morality, virtue and decisiveness. Such lessons were regularly conducted to prepare him for the time when the Emperor relinquished his throne to Li Xun.

Tasked with a quiz, he pondered about it for a moment, before dipping the feather quill pen into an ink jar. As he wrote his answer down in elegant calligraphy, he snuck a peek in the direction where his bodyguards were lined along the walls.

Long'Er stood among them in the corner, unmoving and expressionless. However, each time the teacher recited verses, the gleam of curiosity in his eyes would seem to shimmer a little brighter.

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his states and all their clans are preserved." [1]

Ever since he started performing his duty as his bodyguard, Li Xun would notice the subtle changes in his expression. As much as the boy tried to hide it, his fascination would peek through his face. Be it a lesson on principles, archery or sword practice, it piqued his interest.

But Long'Er wasn't aware that he was watching him. Observing him.

He was relatively slimmer and shorter than average men. A possible result from his lacking meals when he was living in the mountains. Because of his delicate physique, Li Xun would often worry if the boy might fall apart while undergoing the harsh training.

But he didn't.

His strength was awe-inspiring.

Ever since Li Xun was a child, all his friends belonged to the noble clans. There was an unspoken rule that the nobles should never mingle with the commoners. As a result, he never had a friend from such a humble background, until Long'Er came along and changed that for him.

Their fated encounter only seemed to prove his belief right – that all humans regardless of their status, were equal in beings.

When his lesson ended, he headed back to his bedchamber where his lunch awaited him. Despite his constant reminders to his cooks to reduce his food portions, they still served him a table full of delicious food that was probably enough to feed a few people.

Shaking his head, he called for someone loudly.

"Long'Er."

The boy quickly entered, curious as to what he wanted. When Li Xun waved him over to where he was seated, he abruptly stopped.

"Come and join me at the table."

Long'Er's eyes widened in surprise. He cast a quick glance at the closed doors behind him, fearing that the guards or attendants on the other side of the doors would dislike him for receiving special treatment. Thinking that it would be best if he were to return to his position, he shook his head.

"Your Highness, I'm not hungry. I'll have my lunch later."

Li Xun dismissed his reason with a wave of his hand. "I can't finish all this food and we don't want them to go to waste, do we?"

If he were to speak honestly, it was because his big brother instinct was emerging. He wanted to feed Long'Er and have him grow healthily, lest he might get bullied in the outside world.

When Long'Er made no move to come closer, Li Xun grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the table. Despite his reluctance, the boy obeyed his orders and watched as he placed a bowl of rice and a pair of chopsticks in front of him.