Chapter 11

For October, it was much warmer in D.C. than in New York City. Without wind tearing through the streets like a wind tunnel, Jasmin Prian felt almost stifled. She tugged off her jacket before exiting her cab. She thanked the cabbie, paid him the amount due, and stepped out onto the sidewalk.

            The sign for Molly’s Diner was dark, open sign flipped to closed. It was almost three in the morning, the entire night alive. For a moment, Jasmin doubted this was where she was actually supposed to be. She dug around in her pocket for a piece of paper, checked the address against the one on the building.

            “Yep.” She sighed, unsure what to do. She hesitated in front of the door, about to raise her hand to knock before it swung open on its own.

            “Ah! You must be Jasmin. Please, please come in.” Said the man that took up the doorway. His chin vanished into his neck, head nearly completely bald. He spoke in a serious tone that didn’t quite fit with the laugh lines that ran from the corners of his mouth to his nose. “Right this way, please.”

            Jasmin nodded, stepping into the diner behind him. He closed the door and began bustling across the room to a narrow hallway, waving his hand for her to follow. The curtains were pulled across the windows, leaving the diner in total darkness. She blinked against it until her eyes adjusted and followed the man.

            “I’m Councilor Abraham, in charge of the Southern Slayer domain.” He spoke a bit breathily as he walked. Approaching a thick steel door, he turned the wheel that sufficed as a doorknob. It swung opened, and Jasmin followed him up the staircase on the other side. “Ms. Prian, I must say your reputation precedes you. I hope you are as good as they say.” They went through another door, entering a lobby. Again, Jasmin had to blink her eyes into adjustment, this time for the brightness. “I apologize, but the situation at hand is dire to say the least.”

            “I understand.” Jasmin said, smiling professionally. “I believe I have the means to complete what you request. It is simple enough to conjure. However that is really the only task I am able to perform. I will not help on the battlefront, so please don’t ask.”

            Councilor Abraham stopped in the hallway. He turned to face her, surprised at her words. Jasmin smiled again. She was indifferent to this look by this point. Born a warlock, she had grown up performing tasks for others acquainted with the supernatural. And almost always, her employers were surprised by her formality and professional actions.

            “Yes, well we wouldn’t ask you to put your life in danger. In fact, we are planning to take extra precautions to keep you safe. As I am sure you’re aware, we are dealing with an underling to Casper McCoy. He succeeded in planning and executing a distraction that resulted in the capture of one of our own. We see him as a serious threat and we are trying our best to assure that the number of faces he sees are minimal. Therefore, you will never be face to face with him. You may concoct the serum in my office. Simply tell one of my men how to give it to him, and you are done.”

            Jasmin nodded. “Sounds perfect to me.” Her smile faded. “Let’s get started.”

            “Of course.” Councilor Abraham led her down a hallway. The floor was mostly deserted, only half a dozen people ambling around.