• Chapter 14: Gathering the Circle •

Chris leaned against the counter as Bill held up the phone to his ear with trepidation, his foot tapping against the tiled floor as a woman's muffled voice carried over from the receiver.

She had only been to his house once or twice, and it wasn't until now that she realized just how empty it truly felt. She shivered, rubbing her still-warm cheek.

"Thank you M-Mm-Mrs. Tozier." he said softly before the other side hung up. "D-D-Dammit."

She flinched at the sound of him slamming the phone back on its place on the wall.

"Not home?"

He nodded.

"Figures." she snorted, crossing her arms.

Richie's mom could very well be covering for him, but she doubted his mother would ever extend a courtesy like that to her son. After a split second of thought, she turned to Bill.

"I think I know where he is."

"Y-Yuh-You do?"

She nodded. There was only one other place he could be.

As they sped down Central Street, Chris felt her heart race. If he wasn't where she thought he was - and she was so sure of it - then it was hopeless. And she hadn't even factored in the possibility that even if they did find him, would he join them?

Bill pushed open the doors to the Aladdin, stomping into the arcade that sat right before the ticket booth. Letting out a simultaneous sigh of relief, Richie stood at the far end of the room, engrossed in a round of Street Fighter.

"Richie!" Bill called.

The boy looked over his shoulder for a passing second before going back to smashing buttons on the console.

"What do you want?" he said coldly. "See that guy I'm hitting? I'm pretending it's you."

"Cut the crap, Richie, just hear him out."

"I-I-It got Beverly." Bill blurted out.

"What are you talking about?" he said, his impatience increasing.

"It, Richie." Chris emphasized in desperation. "It got Beverly."

Slowly, he pulled himself away from his game. His irritation had melted away into something else, his brows knitting together as he turned to face them. Fear.

"Well," he shuffled on his feet. "Wh-What do you want me to do about it?"

Chris' expression darkened.

"Oh fuck, you're serious."

"No shit, Sherlock." she crossed her arms. "Now are you coming or what?"