excerpt

Dragon Riders

              Come on we need to get the hell out of here Eric said to Celestine as the howl of the wolf could be heard not far from where they stood. Where are we going to run to we don’t even know where we are for you talk of going anywhere, just run Eric said pulling her with him.

        You do know we are running in circles right Celestine said to Eric who was leaning against a tree to catch his breath, what if it’s an illusion Eric snapped his head to face the hair haired sorceress who begun to weave patterns on the floor of the forest her patterns begun to glow when the growl was heard coming from the bush closest to Eric who jumped form where he stood drawing his sword and brandishing it at the wolf that emerged from the bush it’s eyes glowing red and shiver dripping from its fangs.

           It started to walk to and foo accessing the situation before howling into the quiet forest, only for his howl to be replied by another further away from where they stood.

          Celestine rose for where she was kneeling, pulling out her dagger and taking a defensive stance, it don’t think that is going to help you magic would be more helpful, Eric said as the wolf kept circling them waiting for the rest of its pack to arrive to the site.

        We need to get out of here before the rest here like he heard what Celestine said the wolf growled furiously also taking an attack stance. Staring Eric in his eyes, the wolf speed for him, Eric prepared himself to strike the wolf across his exposed side but as the wolf got closer he diverted towards the direction of Celestine who had anticipated the attack changed her stance to a more offensive one as the approaching wolf got closer.  

           Throwing the dagger at the wolf and forcing it to change direction  to meet the approaching ball of light thrown  a few seconds after the dagger, the wolf flew across the clearing to hit a tree with a loud crack and a loud whimper.

     We need to get out of there fast before the others come and see what we had done to their pack mate, Celestine said running in the direction of the glowing path her spell from earlier had created, casting another for the glow to fade once she had past, they headed deeper into the forest, the sound of a sorrowful howl followed by an angry one could be heard  a few minutes on their glowing path.

     The growling and pounding of multiply feet on the forest floor was getting closer, these wolves were determined to avenge their fallen pack mate, did you have to kill him Eric said turning his head to see the glowing eyes of eight wolves approaching fast, how did they find us this quickly Celestine said also looking back by scent Eric replied still running.

        Turning to watch the approaching wolves only to find three of the rabid wolves gone known what was happening before it did as the wolves emerge from in front of them a few minutes later on their trail.

       The three growled menacely  as the two pulled to a halt at the threat before them the three wolves immediately  spread out blocking them from running  in the other direction, the other caught up with them  forming a circle around the duo, the biggest of the wolves steeped forward walking around them before attacking them.

   They reacted in the same way as before the other wolves joined in, with Celestine throwing daggers and balls of light in all direction and Eric slashing through them making cuts of his own though most of his swing hit air, one of the wolves crept back watching the fight from the distance  waiting for an opening to attack the sorceress just then a light brown wolf was thrown aside by one of balls of light the grey wolf sped towards Celestine.

    Just as the wolf rose in the air serving as a temporal shield and camouflage catching her off guard but Eric had seen the wolf speed toward Celestine as he had moved further way from the fight, he threw his sword which hit the wolf as he jumped to grab Celestine by the neck, now defenceless  the alpha of the pack jumped on him snapping at his neck as his nails and teeth scraped his arms a ball of light hit the alpha on the side throwing him off Eric lie down Celestine said before shouting something before spreading her hands and letting out a force that threw all the standing wolves in the air three hitting trees and becoming unconscious and the other falling  with loud thuds  and losing focus.

               Helping Eric up they began their race to the edge of the forest that was now insight. Why did  you not use that at the beginning Eric said to Celestine as they emerged form the forest, I can only use it once it draws too much magic  at a time for now I am drained and need to recuperate, simply put when you use it you become human again Eric said when did I stop being human Celestine said looking at Eric  the moment you use magic asshole Celestine said dropping his to the hit the ground with a thud  use see  no human would do that Celestine let out a frustrated sign you are darned lucky I am drained I would have changed you into a rat, thank heavens for that he said standing up with  difficultly it seems we are a day’s ride to the  caves.