13 - I Love it When a Plan Comes Together

**Van**

As plans went it wasn't genius but it was...workable.

I was most likely setting myself up for daily torture by unfulfilled lust but I wasn't really thinking about myself when the idea occurred to me. I'd only been thinking about Kim. Not that Kim or her situation was in any way, shape or form my responsibility but the asshole that should have been there for her had proven unworthy.

Sure, she hadn't given him the opportunity to step up but the guy had lied to both her and his wife so I could understand her reticence. It wasn't my place to judge her decisions but what I didn't want was for her to make those decisions recklessly. It would hit too close to home for me if she did. I couldn't help but remember another time when someone I'd cared about had wanted help from me that it just wasn't possible for me to give. She'd made her choice and blamed me for it and while I could understand her pain she'd forgotten that I too had been hurt.

Kim wouldn't blame me for any decision she made, she hadn't even asked for my help; I'd offered it freely. She'd become a good friend and although I couldn't help her make difficult choice I could help her with her employment difficulties. In fact my solution would kill two birds with one stone which was why I was currently staring Lucy down as we sat in the sitting area of her dad's basement recording studio and her dog chewed at the hem of my jeans while my bandmates watched on with avid interest.

"C'mon Luce, it's a great idea – admit it," I pleaded as I tried to dislodge Kevin from my leg, he'd obviously caught a whiff of cat. His snarl as he hung on fast was only rivalled by the one on Lucy's face as she exploded, "Good idea? I've just found out that my best friend has burned her life down for an undisclosed reason and you want me to admit that her giving up a career that she loves to come work with you bozos is a good idea? Think again pal!"

Lucy looked adorably fierce. She was the sweet little sister that I'd never had and was usually as easy going as they came in her role as our manager. This time however she was definitely giving off some scary boss lady vibes. She kind of had a point. I hadn't realised when I blithely suggested that Kim come on board with the band as kind of a day to day assistant and point of contact for Lucy, who seemed to be travelling more and more with Bas as well as taking on more responsibility at her dad's record label, that Kim hadn't shared her condition with her best friend. Thank god that for a lifetime of considering my words carefully. I hadn't blown what was clearly a secret wide open.

It was a good idea though, if only for the short term. If Kim decided to proceed with her pregnancy and then if she decided to keep the baby, my plan's lack of genius became obvious. A life on the road as a single mother was not really conducive to effective child rearing. Rich and I were exhibits A and B in that scenario.

"Luce, you need the help. We need the help. Kim is smart, organised and efficient. All the things you need in your right hand person, not to mention all the things you need to keep these guys in line." I waved a hand at Ace, Josh and Gray who sent angelic looks of outrage our way before returning to the song they were tinkering with. Just for a moment Lucy and I shared a look of mutual understanding, my bandmates were great guys but they were still young and enjoying the fruits of their new found success. It would be all too easy for it to go to their heads and turn them into tabloid burnouts like my brother if they weren't kept under control with a strong hand. I held up a finger to indicate that Lucy needed to wait until I finished making my point before she spoke. "Plus Kim is a fun girl, she knows how to party like a rock star without partying like a rock star."

"I know all that Van," Lucy sighed and finally bent down to pluck her fluffy miniature demon of a dog off my leg. I glared at Kevin as he sent a high pitched growl my way. I was definitely turning into a cat person. "What I don't understand is, knowing what I know about Kim's family situation, why she is throwing away the career that she loves, a career that gives her independence from them."