3| I HAVE SO MANY IDEAS!!!

To all the grammar freaks out there: I sincerely apologise for using three exclamation marks. Don't hate me. *goes and hides in hole*

From those of you who remember when I had just started this account, I really had my creative juices flowing.

I had 5 odd stories published ; all with plots eerily similar to the last book I read. I was half-heartedly writing all of them, desperate to gain a few readers.

Truth is, if you're not fully invested in a plot, don't write it.

When you see millions of writers on 500 million reads and 500K votes, it's easy to get disheartened. I remember wanting to start writing right away, but none of my ideas quite worked in the beginning.

Just remember, some writers have been on Wattpad for years before they reach these kind of stats. They've fully planned their novels and had time to refine their writing skills.

So, the biggest tip I can give you, is to wait it out.

I got the idea for 'After the Crash' moments before I fell asleep a few weeks after joining Wattpad and something suddenly clicked in my brain.

If you're still waiting for that lightning bolt moment, don't worry! It will come, I promise!

My over-active brain loves spurting ideas at me in the middle of the night, so I have a good 50 drafts locked away.

Even if you're not sure about your idea, I would still write it down or have a notebook for these things.

All stories start from somewhere. Harry Potter was no overnight success - it took years of dedication from J.K. Rowling to get the book published and successful...

There are idiots out there who will put you down. Tell you your writing sucks or that it'll never work out.

Just keep writing your killer idea up.

I made a huge mistake when joining this platform. I thought it was all about the votes.

Turns out, reads and comments are more important.

At the end of day 1 of After the Crash, I had something like 2 votes and 5 reads. All stories start somewhere.

Please also note, not all readers vote. When I'm reading a brilliant book, I sometimes forget to vote and have to go back to the chapters later and re-vote. I'm so hooked and enthralled by the story, that I forget.

So, you should try and concentrate more on reads and comments.

I felt the happiest ever, when someone commented on my book saying:

"I'm so excited! I can't wait for an update!"

The votes just didn't excite me as much as that one comment. It made me go ballistic.

Someone, out there, appreciates you and your writing! Don't give up on it!

The best way to gain readers is to interact with other writers like you.

Do R4Rs (read for reads), do leave them helpful feedback and do leave them those wonderful comments. You're making someone's day, while they may also do the same for you in most cases.

I also made my first few Wattpad friends through this and they've been the ones who have stuck with me for the last few months.

It's really important to engage with your few readers - answer their comments and questions! It could spark a meaningful conversation between you!

I have over 5K comments on After the Crash and I really do try and reply to each and every one. I gain new friends all the time through these comment sections and by doing R4R'S with them!

Overall Advice: Get that killer idea, but don't rush into something you're not fully invested in.

NEXT CHAPTER: HOW TO WRITE LIKE A PRO ;)