An Unintended Insult

"The filing cabinet is merged into the wall. If you press this button, it opens."

I stood at the far end of the room I would call my office from today onward. The idea of it almost unreal. Could life really be moving on so fast? Crazy one minute, muted and normal the next? Vivian observed me as I inched towards the glass-top desk centered in the room. My fingers brushed over the glass. The cold smoothness under my skin proved this new reality wasn't a lie. I withdrew my hand and turned my attention back to Vivian who stood still in one position of the room, a remote in her hand, the same one she had used to demonstrate all its purposes for the last fifteen minutes. How did I come across to this woman? Strange? Quiet? Odd? It didn't matter. I was here to do a job; not impress every person I came across.

I initially thought I would be filling the vacant spot behind the reception desk, but when Bailey sauntered into the room with a disapproving growl in my direction and sat in the empty seat, I knew it wasn't where I'd be positioned. Would I have to work with the damnable woman? I had tried to disregard the fowl glare she gave me when Vivian turned around. If she was a simple receptionist, perhaps, I would be above her as Vivian's assistant? Either way, I knew in the moment, I would need to grow a thicker skin around her.

Not long after Vivian dragged me through the second metallic door, and I found myself trying to concentrate on each word Vivian uttered as she showed me the ins and outs of my modern office.

A shrill ring of a phone vibrated somewhere within the office breaking both Vivian and my own concentration.

"Give me a moment to answer that. When I'm done I'll show you how the switchboard works."

Vivian handed me the remote and excused herself, leaving me behind to take in my surroundings. I stepped deeper into the room. The office I was allotted sat at the furthest point of the hallway we entered. It wasn't square as the other offices Vivian and I passed, instead it curved around the same floor-to-ceiling glass windows as the reception, expect the glass here was tinted to dim the brightness of the sun. The tinting however didn't obscure the view of the outside world. Below the magnificent crystal water of the Damesville lake glittered under the morning sky, an orchard of lemon trees spreading out on both sides of the lake. The light, cloudless blue sky provided the perfect backdrop while wildflowers growing along the embankment brought pops of color to the masterpiece in front of me. At least they didn't stick you in a windowless cubicle.

Vivian's voice drifted through the open door, but apart from her clipped business tone, the sounds of the world outside were non-existent. I crossed my arms over my chest and breathed in deep. I got this. It's like riding a bike, you never forget the basic principles. I nodded at myself, turning and heading for the office chair and taking in my seat. While Vivian was occupied, I could acquaint myself with the diary she pointed out earlier and her appointments for the day.

Yet, after an hour of scanning the rest of her appointments for the next two days, Vivian had still not finished. I glanced up and peeked through the glass wall separating my office from the hallway. I could still hear her voice prim and proper with a slight hint of agitation. Whoever was on the receiving end clearly experienced some problem or other. I shifted in my seat. My fingers itched to do something productive. Vivian still needed to detail the exact requirements expected of me and promised to show me the layout of the office, including where the bathrooms where located. With the amount of coffee, I drank before I left, my bladder complained royally for a release. I tried to hold it another few minutes but the need to go overpowered my instincts not to go off wandering in a place I didn't know. I rose from the chair and set out for the door. What's the worst that could happen? I could incur Bailey's wrath by asking for directions, but it would soon be over, and I could return to the office and wait for Vivian.