Owens' Last Few Moments

Disclaimer: I don't own Pitch Black/Riddick; I only own Shadow.

Chapter 3

Uh man… this is the second time I've felt like I was it by a train and let me tell you it ain't a pleasant feeling!

I opened my eyes only to shut them quickly from the bright light.

"Someone close the blinds" I muttered

After a minute or two I was able to completely open my eyes. Blinking I looked in front of me to see what looked like…sand? Why am I in sand?

I scrambled to my feet only to regret that. I quickly collapsed onto my knees gasping for breath and trying to push away the pain that washed over my body in waves. The world seemed to spin around me in a fast pace. Breathe in… and out… in…out… in…out.

'There you go Shadow nice and easy, just calm down' I thought

Once the pain dimmed down…somewhat and everything seemed to stop spinning, I carefully looked over myself for the damage. My shirt was covered in dirt and was scratched into shreds. Underneath I could see bruises and cuts across my stomach and chest, the cuts weren't bleeding but they looked aggravated.

My arms were covered in small cuts and there was a long one on my left arm going from my shoulder to about an inch above my elbow. My shorts were slightly ripped but mostly just covered in sand. My legs were covered in cuts, some were bleeding but others weren't.

All in all I was completely okay for someone who just was in a sip crash. Then it hit me, I probably should start heading to the ship to see if anyone else survived the crash.

With that thought I started to walk towards the direction of the fallen ship.

******20 MINUTES LATER***************************************************************

I walked into the Hunter-Graztner through a gaping hole on the side of the ship.

The inside was a wreck, there were wires everywhere hanging from the ceiling and poking out of the walls. Metal and broken cyro cambers was twisted out of shape and broken into parts, some laid on the ground in bent positions. Cargo from the passengers were scattered across the ground and caught on pieces of metal.

I frowned at the thought of the passengers, there had been many chambers and bodies surrounding the ship as I walked towards the sip. I kept my eyes forward and stepped over their bloody and broken bodies.

Shaking away the thought I began to shift through the metal looking for anybody who had survived.

After 20 minutes of searching and coming up empty handed I grew aggravated and was about to chuck a piece of metal that was in my hand across the room when I heard the sound of someone talking.

I stopped and listened carefully…there it was!

I quickly dropped the piece of metal and rushed towards the voice that was coming from my left. I could now hear the person talking more clearly, they were muttering but it was gradually getting louder and turning into a scream.

Finally I reached the mystery survivor, it was the pilot turned captain seeing as the captain died in his cyro chamber. He was still strapped into his chair that was lying across what used to be the control panel.

He only had a few cuts across his face but that wasn't the problem, the issue was in his chest, literally.

In his chest was a metal pole that went through his chest and the chair. The pole vanished into the control panel underneath the chair. It couldn't be moved seeing as it was too close to his heart.

I ran towards him and leaned over him, there was a little bit of blood coming out the corner of his mouth. On his uniform the name 'Owens' was placed in white stitching.

"Mr. Owens" I whispered to the man who was still muttering.

His eyes quickly looked at me but he didn't move his head, he probably wasn't able to.

"Don't you dare touch that handle Fry…d-don't you dare t-touch that h-h-handle" he said desperately. I looked at him in confusion, who was Fry. It didn't matter know the more he spoke te more frantic he became.

"Shh Owens you need to calm down…breathe slowly come on in and out" I told him gently and made him focus on me

After a little while he had finally calmed down, he looked at me and shakily smiled "t-th-thank you"

I smiled at him and pushed his hair out his eyes "You're welcome Owens"

He kept on breathing in and out slowly, there were a few times where he would cough and hack up blood and I knew, he didn't have long.

All of a sudden Owens looked at me "What's y-your n-n-name?"

"My name is Shadow" I replied

He mouthed my name slightly "well Shadow ca-can you d-do me a f-f-fa-favor?" he asked

I nodded my head "Yes anything"

He smiled "reach into my left pocket"

I reached over him, careful of the pole in his chest and grabbed something out of his pocket. Once the object was out I saw a beautiful gold necklace in my hands, hanging from it was a red stone that grew brighter as it became closer to the middle of the stone.

"I w-want you to have t-this" he said with a smile that was interrupted by another bloody cough.

"Owens I can't take this" I told him as I tried to give it to him.

He glared and refused to take it "No I want you to, for being w-wit-with me in my last moments".

I looked at him in the eyes and couldn't refuse his wish, I nodded and clasped it around my neck. He smiled and looked at me in gratitude.

All of a sudden he groaned in pain and took a few stuttering breaths, it was almost time for him to go. I checked his neck only to find no pulse. His eyes grew frantic again and he began to scream again

"Don't you dare touch that handle Fry…d-don't you dare t-touch that h-h-handle" he said.

I closed my eyes and let out a sad sigh, his brain hadn't caught up with his heart and he kept on seeing this person reaching for a handle.

All of a sudden a woman came running into the room. I jumped up and stood in front of Owens protectively. Though once I saw the uniform she was wearing I knew she was a part of the crew. I let her near Owens, she glared at me in suspicion as she jogged closer to Owens.

Unfortunately this is when he took his last breathe, I looked at him in sadness.

He didn't deserve to suffer like that, his death should have been fast. However I am happy he wasn't alone in his last few moments.

As she kneeled next to Owens I saw her name tag on her uniform 'Fry'

I looked at her with narrowed eyes "You're Fry?"

She looked at me from next to Owens' dead body and nodded.

"What did you do?" I asked in a growl

"What are you talking abou-" she tried to say but I saw her eyes move around in fear.

"What handle was he talking about? The one he told you not to touch?" I demanded as I took a step closer to her.

She gasped in fear and started to shake slightly. "U-uh I have no idea what you are talking about" she said shakily

"Don't lie to me" I growled at her as I took a step closer

However before anything else happened a group of people came in, other survivors. They consisted of a four boys though one boy looked more feminine then masculine, a woman and four men, one of them being Johns.

The women and children along with a weak looking man gasped at the sight of Owens and Johns and the other man grimaced.

Johns looked over and saw me, he gasped in shock "Shadow? How are you alive?" he asked as he walked closer to me.

Fry got lucky this time but next time I wouldn't let her get away, I wanted answers and I wanted them now.