Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine 

Mars felt as if time had slowed right down as he turned to look at Conn. He could hear the blood beating in his ears, thud, thud, feel the pressure on his lungs as he held his breath, hoping for the denial, the explanation that he already knew he wasn't going to get. 

Conn's white staring face was all the answer he needed. Guilty.  

For a moment he thought he was going to be sick, the punch to his gut was so strong. Slowly he let the air out of his lungs and let the rage in.  

Conn had made a complete and utter fool of him. He couldn't help flinching inside as he remembered how excited he had been when Conn allowed that kiss, how hopeful that he was beginning to open up to him ... All just a trick, a ploy to target him.  

And god what an easy target he had been. The games, the conversations, the playing hard to get ... had anything at all been real? 

Well there was one certain way he could take his revenge, he thought viciously. Without taking his eyes off Conn, he issued an order to his second in command, one person at least he thought, who would be happy about this.  

"Nowak, you know what to do." Mars smiled, coldly. 

Conn looked desperately from one face to another and saw only stony expressions. No one was going to help him. Levi was glaring at him, betrayal in his eyes. Nowak was frankly gleeful, itching to get his hands on him and drag him away, Andrews full of righteous indignation. 

But the worst of all was the cold anger on Mars' face. For a second he thought he had seen a flash of pain, but there was no sign of it now, just the desire for revenge. 

He knew there was no point in trying to defend himself, none of these men would care that he hadn't known he had the nanobots. They all knew he was a spy and that was enough. The only man it might matter to, was the one in front of him, in no mood to listen to a word he said. 

Nowak grabbed him roughly by the arm and hauled him out of his seat, while Mars watched impassively.  

He wasn't going to beg and plead in front of these men, but he couldn't let himself be dragged off without a fight, even though he knew it was hopeless. He rammed an elbow into Nowak's stomach then brought his fist upwards in an uppercut to the jaw. Nowak rocked back, shaking his head angrily. Conn came in close again, ready for another blow but before he could strike, Levi twisted his right arm up behind his back while another man took hold of his left, pinning him between them. The last thing he saw was Nowak's fist coming straight towards his face.  

XXX 

Conn slowly regained consciousness to find himself stretched uncomfortably across a bed. He tried to sit up but he couldn't move his arms. What the-?  

In growing horror he realised that his wrists and ankles were tied tightly to the four corners of the bed. He was face down, spreadeagled and someone had stripped him naked while he was unconscious. He felt frighteningly vulnerable. His head turned cautiously from side to side, searching for anyone else in the room, but he was alone thank god. For the moment. He knew immediately there was only one reason they had left him like that. He wasn't crew any more, he had become a prisoner. 

Mars was going to come in any minute and rape him. Sheer physical terror rushed through him like a tidal wave, overwhelming him for a breathless moment, sweeping away every other thought except escape. For a long moment he wrestled with the mindless fear, before he was able to get his head above water, get his brain working again. 

His heart pounded in his chest, he had to get free before Mars came in, at least give himself a chance to fight back. He wriggled his wrists carefully inside the plasfoam strips which tied him to the bed, trying to pull his hands free without tightening the bonds. He made himself test each bond thoroughly, assessing which, if any, had the most flexibility. 

His left hand seemed to be bound the loosest, and he gradually twisted and pulled, trying to work it free. He could feel sweat breaking out on his forehead as he tried desperately to focus his concentration on his hand, refusing to allow his imagination to leap ahead to what was going to happen to him, to let that wave of terror return. 

He thought he had his left hand about halfway through now, if he could just squeeze those knuckles into a narrower shape, he could pull the whole hand out 

Almost. He nearly had it. He tugged harder. Try as he could, he couldn't budge his hand any further. The restraints were too tight, he was trapped there. No! He broke into a cold sweat all over, tugging with increasing frenzy until he tipped back over the edge into blind panic, wrenching his wrists and ankles wildly until the plasfoam strips cut painfully into his flesh, drawing blood. The sudden pain cut through his panic and he fought hard to get back in command of himself, this wasn't helping. He could hear his own shuddering breaths in the small room, feel his blood, slippery against the bonds. Maybe the blood would allow his hands to slip out of the ties, he thought with a touch of hysteria. 

The door opened and Mars came in. Conn strove to keep some measure of self control, fought to stop himself from screaming and begging. He took a deep steadying breath, trying to rationalise, divorce himself from his crippling emotions. He'd been hurt before for gods sake, his broken leg when he was twenty had hurt like the devil, he could put up with a bit of pain. He swallowed, knowing it wasn't the same, this was personal, about as personal as you could get. He knew what was going to happen, he would endure it, and eventually it would be over. He could handle it, he could. He had to believe that. He just wished with all his heart it wasn't Nick, he thought he could have coped better if it was a stranger. 

Mars looked down at Conn, naked on the bed in front of him. He had starred in more than a few of his erotic fantasies, but none of them had started like this. He was still feeling coldly furious, he refused to admit his anger stopped him from feeling anything else. He saw Conn's shoulders, shaking in their effort for control, heard the harsh breathing, with bitter satisfaction. He was distracted for a brief moment by the sight of all the blood on Conn's wrists and ankles where he had tried to free himself, but he refused to let that dilute his rage. Instead he let his eyes focus on his naked ass, feeling his erection already hard and angry, eager to punish. 

"I wouldn't want to disappoint you, Conn, or whatever your name is," he said, his voice cold and hard, as he started to unfasten his trousers. "Afterall, this is what you have been expecting from me all along, isn't it?"