Chapter 16

On Christmas Eve, I stood in the doorway of the kitchen, gazing at my parents uncertainly. They were both engrossed in a card game and they hadn’t noticed my arrival yet. I cleared my throat, and they both turned to look at me. “I was wondering if you guys wanted to come watch me ride Justice tonight.”

            They were speechless for a few moments as they absorbed what I had said. Then they both got to their feet quickly, the card game forgotten. “Of course, if you’re sure you want us to,” my mom said.

            “I’m sure. I want to try jumping him tonight, and I want you both to be there.” I turned and walked away before they could say anything else. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to deal with it if either of them got emotional on me now.

            We walked down to the barn together, with me picking my way carefully around the ice. When we reached the stables, I went to Justice’s stall immediately. Like every night, he stuck his head over the door and nuzzled me. “Hey boy. I hope you’re ready for this tonight.”

            My dad moved off to the tack room while I brushed Justice. When my dad returned, he was laden down with tack, which my mom quickly helped him set down. He’d also grabbed my helmet for me, and I smiled at him in thanks. I got Justice ready, and I was pleased that my parents didn’t offer to do it all for me. I didn’t mind if Chase helped me, but that was mainly because I was teaching him what to do, rather than needing his help.

            I led Justice out of the stall, my cane making its usual rhythmic tapping sound as we went down the aisle. Once in the arena, I put my helmet on, placed my cane against the wall and then maneuvered Justice by the mounting block. I climbed on and got myself settled, then squeezed with my legs to move him forward.

            My parents stayed silent the whole time I warmed him up, but I could tell by the looks on their faces that they were incredibly happy that I’d allowed them to watch this. When Justice was sufficiently warmed up, I looked at my dad. “Think he’s ready for me to take him over a small jump?”

            He nodded and walked over to where two standards were set up with a bunch of poles lying beside them. He set up a low cross rail and then stepped back. “Okay, take him over it.”

            I urged Justice to a trot, trying to ignore the butterflies in my stomach. I knew this was the true test of my new bond with this horse. My parents had said that he wouldn’t even jump tiny jumps like this without knocking them down. I kept my eyes up as we approached the small obstacle. Justice didn’t even hesitate as he deftly leapt over it, easily clearing it and landing in a canter. I grinned as I brought him back to a trot and took him around and over it again. When he cleared it effortlessly once more, I gave him a pat. “Good boy,” I crooned to him.

            I slowed him to a walk and approached my parents again. My dad smiled up at me. “Well, he obviously still knows what to do, at least with you up there. Are you going to keep jumping him?”

            I was quiet for a moment as I thought of the plan I’d come up with a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t sure what my parents would think of it, but I decided to tell them anyways. “I want to enter him in the first show of the season.”