The White Hat

“It’s a time bomb sir, it does not look good” Jason said lowering his gaze.

Agent Ryder pursed his lips. As the head of the IIP in the last seven years, since the International Internet Police has been formed, he has seen it all, but nothing like this.

 The door to the private office swinging open startled Ryder. A man in his early 50’s came storming into the room. How many people are allowed to know about this? Ryder thought.

“Agent Ryder, I am Sam Wilson from the Bureau, I have been assigned as the SAC to this CI,” Sam said and extended his hand for a hand shake. Sam quickly placed his hand in his pocket when the gesture was not reciprocated.

Special agent in charge? Ryder thought, I thought I was in charge.

“I understand you have more jurisdictions then I do being the International police,” Sam added, hoping to break the ice. “But this is a matter that involves the president, he is a close friend of mine, and he called me personally. Where is the president now?” Agent Wilson asked.

I have already been on the case for the past 24 hours and here comes the Bureau slowing me down, Ryder thought. He knew he didn’t have the respect he deserved having only turned 34 years old recently. It was not easy being assigned as the head of a newly formed agency at 27 years of age, but Ryder felt he had proven himself since then.  

“He is at a secure location sir,” Jason answered.

“And who are you?” Agent Wilson asked frowning at the boy with brown curly hair and glasses sitting at the computer.

“He is our best sneaker. He is the one who made the initial point of contact,” Ryder answered, annoyed that he has to brief someone rather than work on the case.

“But he is just a boy!” Agent Wilson exclaimed surprised.

“I am sorry to cut in here like this, but I finished Harvard at the age of 14 and in your current situation, I would say that I am your best bet in dealing with this black hat,” Jason answered, throwing his shoulders back.

“So you know where he is and how to get him?” Agent Wilson asked sarcastically.

“Well…” Jason paused. Actually he didn’t. This guy was different, he was a wizard. Jason really didn’t even know where to begin to look for this guy.

“There you go! Already 24 hours in, and we don’t even have a lead do we?” Sam asked slamming the table in front of him with his hands.

Ryder bit his tongue; he didn’t want to say anything that he would later regret.

“Not that I am saying I am not the best, but we need a white hat wizard on this one,” Jason said. He hated to admit he needed help.

“A wizard? What is this kid talking about?” Sam asked shaking his head and sighing in annoyance.

“A wizard is a top hacker,” Ryder said already looking through the IIP database for one. He stared at the screen, a single match blinked on his monitor.

“Bingo!” Jason said, “Oh my God! Metroid Prime exists?” He was looking over Ryder’s shoulder and has seen the blinking name on the screen.

“What is a Metroid Prime?” Sam was increasingly getting annoyed.

“That is just his alias, he is the ultimate hacker, and I look up to him. Thought he was just a legend up until now. I can’t believe this! Metroid exists! You would think he’ll be sentenced to life in prison for what he can do. This is excellent, this is great, and I get to meet him! I get to meet him!” Jason said. He was not stopping to breath and his glasses fogged up in his excitement. “Colorado Springs? He is in Colorado Springs? Let’s go guys, start the helicopter!” Jason added practically running out of the room.