Chapter 2: Detention?!

-At School’s Cafeteria-

‘‘Nicole? Hey Nicole! Wake up!’’ Hara shakes me to wake me up.

I open my eyes slowly and look at her with tired eyes ‘‘Hm?’’

‘‘How long did you stay at the hospital yesterday? And did you cry?’’ she asks me and looks with concern at me.

‘‘I can’t remember and no, I didn’t cry yesterday.’’ I lie but I’m sure she already knows.

‘‘But your eyes are very puffy and red. I’m just worried about you.’’ she says and looks at me with sad eyes.

‘‘I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.’’ I say and smile at her. ‘‘I’m just tired because I didn’t sleep well last night.’’

‘‘Well, whatever. Just remember to take care of your health and you better don’t eat any junk food.’’

‘‘I know. I know.’’ I look at her and smile. ‘‘You’re like my mother right now’’

She laughs and soon the bell rings.

*Ding Dang Dong*

‘‘Oh, I have to go now. I don’t want to be late again. See you after school! And this time… wait for me!’’ she says and smiles.

I laugh and say ‘‘Okay. Okay. See you later. Bye~’’

‘‘Bye!~’’

I stand up and make my way to my next lesson.

‘‘Ahh!’’ Suddenly someone bumps into me and I fall down on the ground. Then I stand up and look at the boy I just bumped in. He’s wearing ripped Jeans, a black-white T-shirt and dark blue Sneakers. On his back he has a black rucksack. It seems like he's in hurry because he just runs away.

‘‘How impolite.’’ I watch that boy disappears and realize that I’m late for my next lesson.

‘‘Oh no!’’ I start to run as fast as I could. When I enter the classroom I see my teacher looks very angry.

‘‘You’re late. Any excuses?’’ She asks me and stares at me with furious eyes.

‘‘I’m sorry’’ I bow. ‘‘I bumped into someone and-’’

She hits with her fist on her desk and shouts ‘‘This afternoon, after school detention!’’

I wince and bow before I go to my seat. ‘She doesn't seem to be in a good mood…’  I sigh and take out my stuff.

I really try to pay attention but somehow it doesn’t work. Time flies by too slow. Two hours seem like years to me. But finally…

*Ding Dang Dong*

‘‘Yeah!~’’ I jump up and look around me. The whole class stares at me like I’m a freak. Even my teacher looks at me like that. She smiles and says ‘‘You know that you still have to stay here at school, right? Don’t forget you still have detention today~’’

She laughs and gives me a piece of paper where I have to go now before she walks out the room. The whole class start to laugh and one by one leaves the classroom. I sigh and sit down again. ‘Why? Two hours detention?!’

I rest my head on the desk and stay like this for a few minutes.

‘‘Oh! I have to say Hara that she has to walk home alone’’ I pack my stuff quickly and walk out the building to see her standing by the school gate. I wave at her and run to her.

‘‘I’m sorry. I can’t walk home with you because I have to stay at school’’ I look at her with a sorry face.

She smiles and shakes her head ‘‘Detention?’’

I nod and look at my feet. ‘‘What did you do? Why detention?’’ She asks me.

‘‘Ehh… I bumped into someone and… I was late.’’

‘‘Well… whatever. Just be careful. The students who have detention are really scary. And not forget to mention very dumb’’ She laughs and hugs me before she leaves.

I wave at her and then look at the piece of paper my teacher gave me. ‘‘Room 203’’ I sigh and start to walk. When I finally arrive there I only see an empty room.

‘‘Only one today?’’ Someone says behind me.

I turn around to see my favourite teacher at this school. Mrs Lee. I bow and greet her.

‘‘Nicole?’’ She looks surprise. ‘‘What are you doing here?’’

‘‘Well I have to stay here because I was late for my lesson’’ I say and smile at her.

‘‘You're usually not the type who comes late for lesson.’’ She says and smiles at me. ‘‘Well, whatever. Sit down please. The detention will start in three minutes.’’

I walk to one of the front tables and sit down. Mrs Lee stands in front of the blackboard and looks at her watch.

Suddenly someone comes in. I look at him and he looks at me. He stares at me for a while but then he recognizes me and he rolls his eyes.

‘That boy?! That will be a very long detention…’

~~*~~