chapter 2

CHAPTER 2 

All the attraction, the tension 

Don't you see baby, this is perfection ¹

'Hi Liz! Look at you all flowery, flowingly and flushed!' Dennie teased, already guessing from Lizzy's face that she was displeased. 

'Easy Denise. You're on my list. You too, you dingbat! Thanks for Mr. Hunk.' Lizzy said to Dennie and Charlo as she came closer, after Darcy showed her where they were and left. 

'Don't play The damsel, Liz! He's gorgeous and has been taking trouble to get you here, also to conceal his efforts, which is kinda cute.' Charlo gushed. 'And he's not Mr. Hunk. He's Mr. Darcy. William Darcy. Thorn told me all about the snubbing nob! Loaded. Like heaps of money. '  

Lizzy shrugged. 'Like I care.' 

'Aww, please Liz.' Dennie had no patience anymore for Lizzy's 'Money doesn't buy happiness' routine. 

'I'm not looking for a husband, mother. I mean, Dennie.' Lizzy spat the words petulantly. 

Denise blew her a raspberry. 

'Sweetie, I doubt he's looking for a husband either. What am I saying? I know he's not!' Charlo laughed with all the booze in his system. 'I doubt he's looking for a wife. Maybe a shag...' 

'Oh please...' Lizzy snorted. "A guy that gorgeous, me, a casual encounter? Come on!" She snorted to herself. 

'Liz, just think ....' Charlo tried to insist but then someone started a huge riot by the pool and their attention was lost elsewhere. Soon they were laughing with their Meryton friends and the Hunk subject died, for the moment. 

Will had Lizzy on his line of sight all the while as he observed the party going on; interested in how easy going she was with everybody, and musing about how much it made his reserved side uncomfortable. 

'She must have known most of these people all her life, Will.' Bingley said over his shoulder. 

'Yeah, probably. And why do I care, Bings?' 

Bingley, the eternal romantic, his longtime friend, actually Ricky's classmate, sighed dramatically. 'Cupid's been busy, I'd say.' And smiled. 

Will choked on his beer and aimed the Darcy stare at Bingley. 'Man, either you marry Jayjay and fill her with babies to occupy her time or you better leave her. You're turning into her!' 

Jane Paz Phillips was an adorable fierce fair beauty that never had a strand of hair out of place in her life. Also from Seattle, Jane met the guys during one of the annual balls held to introduce the girls from her prep school to the boys on theirs. Jane joined their group of friends, instantly becoming a Charles' Angel but made Bingley work for years before giving him an actual date. She used to tell Darcy that once she tasted the Bing flavor, she was sure to be addicted, and as Darcy rolled his eyes at her romanticism, she just tapped his shoulder and said: 'One day Cherry chocolate will not taste like vanilla to you, friend. It'll taste like it's supposed to.' 

'Darce, my Angel is right. You need some quality company.'  

'When have I become a discussion topic between you two?' Darcy asked, annoyed. 

Bingley went pensive and took a gulp of his bottle. 'Mmmm, two years ago?' 

Darcy sighed and shut up. Now was not the time to dwell on his failings. 

After some minutes he decided to try his luck. 'Let the chips fall where they may.' Darcy headed Lizzy's way, maneuvering through the crowd, over Bingley's cheers.