10

"I'm glad you agreed to have this interview with me, Casey," she smiled, and held out her hand, "Dr Ellie Staple. I realise, we haven't formally met yet,"

"What's this about?" She said, refusing to look at her hand, let alone take it. 

She pulled her hand away from Casey, and dropped her smile, "From what I saw yesterday, your relationship with Kevin is, in a word, complex," there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," Casey said, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but I invited an old friend of mine and Kevin's to join us,"

"Oh," Staple looked up at the figure and smiled, frustrated, holding out her hand, "Dr Ellie Staple,"

The woman took her hand tightly with a smile, "Dr Karen Fletcher. I understand, you're the woman who institutionalised one of my most delicate patients,"

"I'm sorry?"

"He has many names. 24 of them in fact."

"Ah. Am I right in assuming that you're Kevin's previous doctor?"

"No. I'm his doctor. There's nothing previous about it. You see- I've been helping Kevin for almost 25 years. His mind is extremely fragile. You're an expert in making those who believe they are superheroes, think that they are normal, am I correct?" she nodded, "Kevin does not believe for a second that he is a superhero. He believes that he's a monster. Whenever Kevin has come to the light and spoke to me, he's been very cautious of everything around him. In short, he doesn't want to be in the light anymore. He's allowed the other personalities to take over, and maybe that's for the best. It means he has a second chance. If one day, he stops being so hard on himself, and finds a reason to spend time in the light again, he has the chance. He has a gift, that some of the most brittle of us don't have. Whereas, some may go down dangerous paths, and possibly even end their lives, Kevin just lets the darkness consume him for a while. So he can be with the only people who seem to care about him. And you think you have the right to take this man, and force him to come closer to the light? From what Casey has told me, it's not just having an impact on Kevin. Dennis is having a nervous breakdown. Barry and Hedwig are having to nurse him back to sanity, and every time they get close, you force him back to square one. If anyone is a monster. If anyone is a super villain. It's not Kevin. Maybe you should take the advice you're giving to Kevin- and shove it right up your ass, where it belongs!"

"That's quite enough, Dr Fletcher,"

The doctor slammed her fist on the table, "no. It's not nearly enough. You're a disgrace to my profession!"

"Dr Fletcher, I'm hear to speak to Casey. You and I can have a conversation about any concerns you have on a later date," 

Dr Fletcher looked at Casey, who nodded. 

"Now, Casey, yesterday when you came to visit Kevin, you showed some very strong affection towards Dennis. But, when..." she looked at her papers, " Hedwig took the light, you changed your entire demeanour, as he would. And again when... Barry took the light. Would you mind explaining that to me?"

"There's nothing to explain,"

"I have to disagree. I assume your relationship with Dennis isn't just emotional,"

"That's non of your concern,"

Staple sighed, "Assuming my predictions are correct, and you do have a sexual relationship with Dennis, is it the same for say... Hedwig or Barry,"

"No of course not. They may all share the same body, but they are completely different people with different physical abilities as well as emotional abilities. Besides-" she stopped herself from continuing.

"Yes?"

"After a while, you don't even see them as the same person physically anymore. It's just like they aren't allowed in the same room as each other. When I look at Barry and then I look at Hedwig, I see completely different people, regardless of what they're wearing. It obviously wasn't like this at first but after spending such an extended amount of time with them, the skill just kinda developed on it's own,"

"So, would you're only physically attracted to Dennis?"

"Yes,"

"But, you see, that doesn't make sense to me. They all look the same. How can you possibly not find them all physically attractive in the same way?"

"Because they don't look the same to me. If your husband or wife had an identical twin, would you find them as attractive as the person you're in a relationship with?"

Staple's eyes widened slightly, "So you see them as twins?"

"I suppose. I don't think of them as being twins, I think of them the same way I would see twins,"

"Tell me, have you ever met Kevin?"

"Once,"

"How did he seem?"

"Self destructive. He asked me to- Begged me to-" Casey's words got caught in her throat, "Why?"

"Is he aware of your relationship with Dennis?"

"I have no idea. The conversation wasn't exactly extensive,"

"Casey this isn't the only reason I asked you to come here,"

"Why else would you want me here?"

"I'd prefer if we spoke in private," she looked at Dr Fletcher.

"I want to speak to Kevin," she said, stern.

"If you come back tomorrow, you can speak to him. But for today, only Casey will be seeing him,"

"But you said I couldn't-"

"I know what I said Miss Cooke. Would you prefer me to stick to what I said?"

Casey kept quiet and turned to Dr Fletcher.

"It's okay. I'll come back tomorrow," she smiled, placing her hand on Casey's, "stay strong,"

Casey nodded, her eyes filling with tears. And with that, Dr Fletcher left.