Chapter Two

"We have been walking for two days surely we can stop at a motel, I need to feel water caressing my skin." I cooed at Aria, already imagining a nice full tub of water, if we were lucky then it would be a wooden tub. Not all those metal ones that burnt your skin.

She shook her head. "Nope, because of you, we went off course, and I would like to make it as far south as I can before winter, or we'll freeze to death."

Oh, that.

"Besides, we can't risk you being exposed or any anyone finding you," she snapped a twig and began sharpening it with her knife. I jumped over a rock and skipped a few steps to catch up with her lengthy paces.

"I know, I know, but just think about the nice soft bed, hot bath, actual cooked food?" I trailed off, leaving the rest to her imagination.

"We eat cooked food!" She snapped, her long neck twisting at an angle as she glared at me. I couldn't help but shake my head. I cook the food and if I the cook says it's wrong, then it's wrong.

"Sure, of course, like the snails we had yesterday, they were mighty fun!" I rolled my eyes.

I could see her fighting with her demon. I hated the bitch; she hated me too, we'll I guess it was more of a mutual hating!

"Fine!"

She won! Yay!

"Just know, it's not happening again," she warned.

Yeah, yeah. She should keep telling herself that. I will always win!

**************************

"Aria," she stirred. "Aria!" I shook her.

Still no show.

"Aria!" She jerked up and grabbed a dagger from her inner thigh.

"Where is that noise coming from?"

"Uh, probably a rogue?" I shook my head. She's normally the sensitive one. What's putting her off?

"No, it sounds almost sweet, like a low rumble, but with a melody," she smiled.

Huh?

"It could be my mate!" She brightened up.

I shook my head. It is pointless trying to explain to this girl.

"Ugh," I shuddered. "You know, for someone who is so lethal, it's pitiful that you could still believe in something so stupid and overrated like love and mates"

She pouted.

"Hey just because you don't have a mate doesn't mean I'm cursed with the same fate."

I grasped my chest and feigned pain. "Way to put it, dear friend. You are young and beautiful and still have a lot to accept from life. Not like an old spinster here."

She smiled at me.

"Hey, I'm not as beautiful as you are anyway, and you never know he might still be out there"

Yeah right.

"Well, I hope for my sake and his that we never meet."

She shrugged and picked up her sleeping bag.

"Going to wash down in the river we saw yesterday."

"Really? When do you ever care?"

"It's that time of the month," she whispered as if she didn't want the trees to hear.