Chapter One - [If Looks Could Kill...]

This is the book I'm writing for the #JustWriteIt 30 challenge. I needed something on the side to give me a little more inspiration and hopefully it inspires you too. Thanks for reading... enjoy my awesome party people :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Chapter One

It all started with a song and a single audition. I didn’t want to audition—really I could think of a million other things I rather be doing afterschool, and playing in front of Mr. White, the new band conductor was not one of them. Instead of wasting time waiting for my name to be called in our cramped band room, I could be at home reading or watching tv or something. Not to mention I just got promoted in my Sim’s career and need to repair the leaky—

                “Delilah Martin.”

Suddenly I was snapped back into reality and staring at the handsome new teacher. I sighed, okay, so maybe I do need a life, but this is not how I wanted to get it.

“Huh?” I was dumbfounded, completely stuck on a brain-fart. Seeing the new teacher momentarily made me forget where I was and what I was supposed to be doing. Did I mention he was good-looking?

“What?” I heard myself mumble, as I mentally kicked myself in the head for drooling over the ‘hot new guy,’ who also just happens to enjoy making the band members lives miserable, which in my eyes made him not so cool. Like I said, I could think of a billion other things to be doing right now.

“It’s time for your audition. Follow me to my office, please,” he said.

I grabbed my flute case from the empty chair beside me and my folder of music. My hands were sweaty, which happened when I was extremely nervous, and my heart was racing, but overall I was mostly annoyed that I had to do this.

The band and choir students had an entire area of the school that was isolated from the rest, full of classrooms, practice rooms with pianos, walk in storage closets and offices. Mr. White’s office was around the corner from the band room, but cut off from the rest of the music department. It was big and even though he’s barely had time to fill it, there was stuff everywhere, from sheet music and instrument cases to boxes and shelves. There were two chairs and a desk that had a computer, seven piles of folders, and a coffee mug. Even the walls were cluttered with posters of classic musicians, from Bach and Tchaikovsky to Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

I sat down in the chair furthest from the desk and put my flute together as Mr. White closed the door and took out some notes.

“So… Deliliah, you’re—”

“Lily,” I intercepted quietly, looking down at my fingers, fiddling with the keys. “That’s what I prefer to be called.”

When I had the courage to look up into his eyes I nearly had a heart attack. They were piercing grey with the slightest hue of blue, ice cold and staggering. I was taken aback for a moment. I had never met anyone with such a strong gaze. It scared me, and as if I wasn’t frightened enough.

He cleared his throat and wrote a note down, but all I could see was the back of the clipboard. Being the third conductor we’ve had this year I think he meant business. His personality seemed just as cold as his eyes.

“Lily… okay,” he began, scratching out something. “It says here that you’ve been last chair since you first auditioned for Concert Band.”

I nodded, staring at the just barely there five o’ clock shadow on his jaw so I wouldn’t have to meet his eyes. It was easier this way.

Our other band teachers were fun, they gave no tests, let us choose our own seats and music, but Mr. White is an entirely different cup of tea—one that I’m not acquired to tasting. He only came here five days ago and already he’s changed everything we’re used to. From day one we were assigned new scales and music and shoved into practice rooms like sheep, once a week the band must meet afterschool for two hours, and since he doesn’t “know what we sound like individually,” the only time we get to pick out our own piece of music this year is for us to not only be tested for chair seating, but audition for the Ordway that has been working with Saint Paul Public Schools the last few years.