Chapter One

A/N: Hey everyone first chapter hope you enjoy, please don't be afraid to let me know what you think and if you have anything you think doesn't work or any tips; constructive criticism only, no need to be rude about it.

Thanks :)

***

The morning sun streamed through my window illuminating the bedroom around me, I laid in my bed staring up at the ceiling as I wait for the tell-tale sign that it was time to get up; I didn't dare get up and make noise before that.

"Peyton!"

That's the signal I was waiting for, every weekday morning my brother Cade loudly knocks on my door shouting my name; this was his version of a wakeup call, not that I needed one since I was always up well before the sun even rose. Growing up with a single dad in the military you kind of get into the routine, not that I ever minded; we would have breakfast together and then I had plenty of time to do whatever I wanted before school in the mornings.

Now that I live with my mother and twin brother, I don't get to do all that much and anything I do manage to do it has to be done as quietly as possible; or in the more preferred silence. The more time I spent here the more I just wanted to go home, it didn't help that my mother and Cade made it very clear that I wasn't exactly wanted or welcome here; but much to all of our dismay, none of really get a choice in the matter.

After Dad was killed in action I was told that I would be moving in with them, I didn't want to move because I had friends back home, well a friend, ARMY and he was more of a big brother; he always watched out for me but they said I had to move in with my 'family'. I didn't exactly know what to think about moving in with them, or what to expect, but I know what I got wasn't it; then again what can you expect from a parent who didn't want you but wanted your twin brother?

I guess I should count myself lucky that I even had somewhere to go, if I didn't, I could have ended up in foster care; though I'm not sure if that would have been better or worse than this situation.

The day I arrived here, no one was even home.

I waited on the veranda for over two hours before my mother arrived, she said nothing only gestured for me to follow her into the house, she led me to a room on the bottom floor right near the backdoor opposite the kitchen.

"This will be your room, there's a private bathroom attached. What's in here is yours, what's out in the rest of the house is not; with the exception of food, if you want anything in particular than you will have to buy it yourself and you'll have to make it yourself because I won't be. You live here because apparently there's no other option, which means that you will do chores as payment, the list will be kept on the fridge for you each day. You will go to school every day and I don't want to get any calls about anything regarding you, okay?" I couldn't do anything but nod in response to her rattling off of rules.

"Good, here is a set of house keys. Oh, and just so we're clear; I don't want to see or hear you unless it's absolutely necessary, I don't care if that means you stay in your room or you're not here at all as long as the chores get done before I get home from work each day you can be out all night for all I call. Also don't call me Mom, call me Jane if by the off chance you have to speak to me." With that she handed over the house keys and left me alone in my new bedroom, shortly after I heard the front door close.

"Well I guess she left." I mumbled, my eyes wandering around the beige room taking in its contents.

It wasn't anything fancy, beige walls with a window opposite the door, a double bed, dresser and wardrobe, the bathroom was a small white room with a shower, toilet, sink and mirror; it wasn't anything special, but it could have been worse.