Chapter 3 - The Better of Two Evils

Over the next two weeks I had to spend time with each and every one of my suitors. And there were a LOT. The first to come and seek me out was Theseus. He was a crude man, always insinuating something dirty, and he was large and dull-looking. “Are you looking forward to you wedding my princess?” He asked me, a smirk on his face. Not wanting to offend anyone, I just nodded.

“Ooo, you’ve your eye on someone do you?”

I sighed. What was I to say now? I really WASN’T looking forward to my wedding, and I didn’t want to mention the one man that had drawn my eye. So instead I just nodded again, knowing that I was going to look like a simpleton. Oh, well. Theseus probably wouldn’t notice, he WAS simpleton. I spent the rest of the time with him in a similar fashion. Avoiding his questions and ignoring his rude comments.

The next two weeks dragged on. I had to spend time with all of the men, individually. They were all the same. Finally towards the end the of my forced “spend time with suitors” interval, it was Menelaus’ turn with me. He greeted with a kind smile, this surprised me more than it should have. I suppose that I had gotten used to being greeted with a leer. How sad. And these were the men that were supposed to be in the running to become my husband. 

“Would you like to go for a ride in the woods Lady Helen? I’ve been wanting to try out one of exquisite Spartan horses in your stables.” I leapt at the chance. I had been so busy these last weeks that I hadn’t been able to spend any time with Poseidon.       

“Oh, yes! I would love that!” I said, jumping up. Chuckling at my excitement, he led me towards the stables.

Once we had our horses and some food for a light picnic lunch, we turned in the direction of the forest and trotted off. I soon grew tired of our slow pace and kicked Poseidon to go faster. He loved to run, and we were soon hurtling through the trees, leaving Menelaus far behind. After a few minutes I realized how far ahead I was and decided to slow down and wait for Menelaus. He soon appeared out of the trees and we decided to eat our lunch. Sitting down under a shady tree, we pulled out our pomegranates, cheese and bread.

“How are you my lady?” Menelaus asked me with sincere concern in his eyes. “You have been very busy these last few weeks.”

“I am tired. Most of the men here are fools, and it is a torture to have to spend time with them. They brag about their supposed quests and exploits, but I think that they are full of goat dung. Excuse my language.” I looked down, blushing, knowing that I had revealed too much and he probably thought me a snob now.

“I agree.” I glanced up, surprised. “They are all braggarts with nothing to show for all their boasting.” I smiled at him grateful to have some who agreed with me. He smiled back, his whole face shining with kindness.  “Lady Helen,” he spoke with an earnestness that alarmed me, “Would you consider me as your husband? I promise that I will always treat you well, and place you above all others.” He looked at me with so much hope that I swallowed the immediate refusal that I had been ready to spit at him. He did seem the nicest of them all. Better him then one of the other fools. I think that I could learn to respect this man, and that seems like an important basis for a marriage, since love seems to not be a possibility as a princess.

“If my father approves then I will agree.” I smiled shyly at him, feeling somewhat nervous.  The joy that beamed from his features at my acceptance made the answer worth it, and I could feel my smile stretching into a grin to match his own.

~

Father readily agreed, of course. I laughed when I saw how nervous Menelaus was going into the throne room. He looked terrified! I knew that my father would not reject him though. He was a prince of Mycenae, and the brother of Agamemnon. The doors to the throne room opened and I was called in.

“Is it true that you agreed to this marriage daughter?” Father asked me with a puzzled look on his face.

“Yes Father. Menelaus is a good man, and I believe that he will make a good husband.” He looked flabbergasted by my answer, but seemed to be delighted also.

“Well, then, I joyfully approve this marriage. I will announce at tonight’s feast, but I want to tell you both something.”

~

That night I sat at Father’s right hand again. Menelaus was seated further down the table so as to not rouse suspicion. Father had told us not to alert anyone to the fact that we were betrothed yet. Throughout the meal excited whispers filled the air. The men had been told that my betrothed would be announced at the end of dinner.

As the feast began to wane, butterflies filled my stomach.  How would they respond, they had all come so far! Father stood up and clanged his sword against the table, effectively gaining everyone’s attention.

“I am going to announce Lady Helen’s betrothal in a moment, but first, so as to avoid any fighting, I want all of you to sweat loyalty to whoever is chosen. No matter whom it is you will sweat fealty to him. Do you so swear?”

There were echoing choruses of ‘I swear!’ that rebounded across the room. “Alright, then I will announce who I have chosen. Prince Menelaus of Mycenae, please step forward!” There were loud groans across the room as each man realized that his name had not been called. Menelaus walked purposefully towards my father and knelt before him.

“Do you promise to protect and cherish my daughter, Helen of Sparta, and to lead my people with honor and dignity?”

“I do,” was Menelaus’ ringing reply.

“Then you and Helen will be married in three days.” I gasped. Three days! That was so soon! I still hardly knew him! But I knew that I could nothing but stand beside my future-husband and smile like I was the happiest woman in the world.