HOT GATES

This is somewhat based on the actual battle of Thermopylae

        "Great soldiers of Sparta, you men deserve to be called Spartans, as your own category of warriors, you don't deserve to be called just a soldier, here in the mystifying place of the Hot Gates, we have been oppressed and stated as a puny Greek force. Nay, we are not a Greek force, we are a Spartan force, we are a force not even almighty Zeus can bear to take down. With dear Ares hopefully by our side, we shall punish the weak Persian army. They dare think we are a force to just think of as a small threat? Nay, and so, fellow Spartans, Citizen Hoplites, and all other men, it is time for the weak Persian force for them to reach their final predicament and realize what they have said and to who. FOR THE GLORY OF SPARTA!!!!!" stated bold King Leonidas. His body guard of 300 men boldly yelled back, "FOR THE GLORY OF SPARTA!! AROO!!"

        "AROO!! Anyways men, this is it, oil your armour, sharpen your swords, and ready for battle, tonight, we shall dine in Hell!!" stated back Leonidas. The men all fell back to their camps and did some cleaning of armour and sharpening of swords and spears, it was about to be the first and last immortal legacy of the Spartans and that would be led by king Leonidas. A messenger of Persian descent  swept into the camp and stopped in the threshold of Leonidas's camp, he said, " sir Leonidas, The God King Xerxes wishes to gift to you a message upon his behalf." Leonidas told the man to come, Leonidas was eating an apple and was sitting with his Spartan friends. "What is your use here?" questioned Leonidas. The messenger replied, " sire, I have a message from King Xerxes, the comment goes: Oh bold Leonidas. How you think your army is strong just with you and 300 men. You wish to stand up against my army of 1 million man strong soldiers and think of defeating me. No, that is a mad man's dream, just surrender your arms now and no man shall be slaughtered in our faces. Think about this option I have offered you, don't be too hasty to a undesirable decision. God King Xerxes." 

        Immediately, all men jumped to their feet, drew their sword, and aimed the tip at the throat and heart of the messenger. The man stated, " what, this is blasphemy." Hectarii, one of Leonidas's friend said, " no this isn't blasphemy, this is Sparta's justice system." After that, all men lunged their sword into the chest and throat of the man, decapitating him and ushering out scarlet red blood. " "Sruptus, take this head and ride it to to the Persian camps" , said Leonidas. Sruptus, another friend, took the head, placed it on his spear, jumped on the horse, and galloped to the Persian base."Men, now it is the time to act, there is no going back, battle positions! Remember, no mercy, no surrender!!" yelled Leonidas. The Spartans readied into a narrow passageway from the Hot Gates. They got into a formation that is called the phalanx. The phalanx is a military tactic which means, shield wall, is a maneuver in which soldiers get into a rectangular formation and the first rank raises their shield to make a shield wall. The Spartans favored this formation because it made the soldiers untouchable due to the large size of their hoplon shields and the Spartan brutal training regime.

        This time, Xerxes said, " you wretched Spartan, who are you to kill my men! You are a low life pheasant when you dare to challenge me and I gave you chance to release this but and you denied it, now you shall suffer because of your ignorance towards a God!!!" Leonidas boldly replied, " hah, I like your use of words but like this apple, you look good on the outside, but in the inside, you are a sour and weak apple." Xerxes hastily commanded, " argghh!! Persians, charge!! Show these pheasant their status!" Volleys of poor Persians charged to the Spartan wall, the soldiers were from the poor status, they all had swords but many lacked shields and even shirts, they built up the Persian Infantry and they were used as meat shields, to drain up enemy bows, javelins, and tire out the enemy. When the Persians charged, they hit the hard bronze shield and the force of about 500 men push against the 300 Spartans. The Spartans held through this until the Persians stopped, as they were getting tired, the Spartans finally opened their shield and thrusted their spears, jabbing all the Persians in the spear's broadhead's way. This tactic was used and used until all the light infantry was done with. The Spartans rallied at the dead bodies of Persians. Leonidas jokingly called out, "Xerxes! You have men alright, but no soldiers, hahaha!" All the Spartans busted into laughter.

        Because of the thin passage way of the Hot Gates, cavalry such as horses and elephants cannot go through and the shield of the Spartans is big enough to dodge volley fire, hence, Xerxes had only  one last option, launch in the Immortals. The Immortals were the heavy infantry in the Persian army, they were decked up in clads of bronze chain mail and their wicker shields is strong enough to deflect arrows, javelin, and sword thrusts. When one troop died in combat, one immediately rushed in thus it seemed as a never-ending group of soldiers, hence the name immortals. Xerxes set up the first volley of men and they used their own shield as a riot shield while charging against the Spartans. The Spartans withstood the charge and they attacked, one weakness of the wicker shield was that it was completely vulnerable to spears, the Spartan's main weapon, so at first thrust, the shield shattered and  the spears killed the Immortals behind it. The next volley came to compensate the dead soldiers and many of the soldiers were being killed, This batle was heting up, no Spartan killed to about 7,000 Persians killed.

        After two days, the Spartans vulenerablity was found out by the Persians, on the other side of Mount Thermopylae, there was another road to mainland Greece, Xerxes immidiately sent a huge force of Immortals to outflank and kille th Spartans once-and-for-all. Leonidas learned about the Persian's knowledge about the passage way and gave away to another speech. "Men, no Spartans. You are the most powerful troops in the whole world, your dedication to preserve Greece and Sparta will forever be honored and you will be known as a hero equivalent to that of Achilles. But like Achilles, it is time for our downfall, the Persians have learned about the other roadway and they sent a huge force to crush us. We are not out manned at all, 300 Spartans remain while 9,000 Persians lay to waste. We have fought and we have fought well, it is time to thank Ares for whatever support he has given us and now for us to fight on our own We shall fight to our last breath and fight for it harder than we did the last two days. Remember what your mothers said, 'son either with this or on this'."  The Spartans got ready for their evident downfall. They fought intil their last breath. To this day, the Spartan legacy still stands.