Part 4: The Eerie Nightmares

“So, now that we may have saved Maria’s life, should we go back to our hotel?” asked my sister, Jessica. We were walking away from the hospital where we admitted Maria to, and we were wondering what to do with our last days in Mexico, especially since we had solved the case of La Llorona at the graveyard, and we had no interest of going back.

            “I really don’t know. I guess we could go back to the hotel…” I suggested. Everyone exchanged “OK” looks, so we headed for our hotel. It was a three-mile walk, but we had time.

            As we were walking, people were looking at us like we were heroes. Either that or we were as conspicuous as an oasis in a desert.

            “Why’s everyone staring?” Jessica whispered.

            “Probably because we solved a case about La Llorona, so people don’t have to be scared about her anymore.” I replied. “More possible than us being complete weirdoes.”

            “Oh, OK.” my sister said.

            Eventually, we made it to the hotel, and just crashed on to our beds.

            “I need some rest…” I complained. “I need my beauty sleep...”

            “…Damn right you do. You look like hell.” my sister mumbled.

            “Hey, shut up!” I retorted. “I wouldn’t be talking if I were you. You look like a banshee: hair disheveled and clothes all baggy.”

            “Be quiet!” she said. We all stayed in our rooms for the rest of the day, and eventually went to sleep at 12 am; except me. I was up all night, thinking about La Llorona. How creepy she was, how she looked, all scary as hell. Yup, she was terrifying. You could get nightmares just thinking about her. I wasn’t going to get any sleep tonight. Until something happened that would make anyone stay awake for days.

            I heard a creepy sound in our room. It sounded like scratching on a wall with sharp knives. It certainly made me jump. I checked the room for anything that could potentially make that sound, but I didn’t find anything; until I heard the noise again. I jumped, and looked behind me. The scratching noise was coming from behind the door. I checked the peephole, and saw La Llorona’s horrible face. She was gaping at the door, and was scratching at it. I backed away, and tried to wake up my roommates.

            “Jessica! Wake up!” I whispered. “WAKE UP!”

            “…HUH!? What happened?” she jumped. I told about the strange noise coming from the door, and she went to go look. “There’s nothing there…” she said quietly. “It must’ve been your imagination.” She was shaking, which either meant that she was cold, or she didn’t believe herself.

            “You don’t think I’m kidding, don’t you?” I said, suspicious. She quietly nodded.

            “Let’s just get some sleep.” she said.

            “Huh? What happened…?” my brother said sleepily as he yawned.

            “Daniel thought he heard something at the door,” Jessica replied.

            “…Huh?” my friend joined in. “Did something happen?”

            “For the love of God! Daniel thought he heard something at the door!” my sister said, annoyed. My brother and my friend went to look, but nothing was there. We all went back to our beds, but we heard it again a few seconds later. Everyone all shot up, and peeked through the door. La Llorona was there.

            “I’m here to get you…” La Llorona said hauntingly. She scratched at the door again, and slowly floated away. Everyone all exchanged, “What the hell!?” looks, and we all scrambled around the room.

            “How can that be explained?” my sister asked herself, pacing the floor. “There has to be a way that was faked!”

            “We don’t have any ideas,” we boys said. Suddenly, La Llorona appeared, on the balcony. She was tapping on the glass, still gaping, and said, “I’m coming to get you…” We all screamed in terror, walking away from the balcony. She got off the glass, and floated away. We were petrified, and just went all into one bed immediately. We were all cold, and scared. None of us could sleep, but eventually we did. I was so caught up in a dream, that in what seemed like 10 minutes to me, was the next morning.

            “Daniel… WAKE THE HELL UP!!” my sister yelled.

            I shot up, and yelled, “What the hell is going on!?”

            “Nothing…” my sister laughed.

            “Damn you, Jessica!” I said. She continued laughing.

            “Come on, we need to investigate about what happened last night. You weren’t kidding, for once.” my sister said.

            “OK…” I said. I got up and out of bed, and got dressed. “So, what are we trying to explain today?”

            “The door, then the balcony.” my brother said. We observed the door very closely, and saw something almost too small to see. It was a small little box that would activate only if something had sent it a message. Someone is trying to scare us out of Mexico, and we needed to find out who and why they were doing this.

            We checked the balcony, and saw that there was a projector that looked like the peephole mechanism.

            “But that still doesn’t explain the scratching noise…” observed my sister. I checked the door, and found a speaker that would play the noise whenever it was activated. All of the machines were made by the same person. Someone definitely wanted us out.

            “Who would want us out?” asked my sister.

            “Probably someone who doesn’t like us, maybe,” I replied. “It’s more possible than La Llorona reappearing again.” My sister was deep in thought.

            “Why?” my sister finally asked.

            “Don’t know,” I replied. “Probably because something valuable is involved, like those treasures in the hidden room.” My sister gave a convinced look. We all looked at each other with a, “That’s it!” look, and ran out of the room.

            We all ran outside of the hotel lobby with everyone staring at us with a, “What the hell is their problem?” look, and ran straight to the graveyard (Along with a few breaks to catch our breath).

            We all finally reached the graveyard, with us breathing restlessly, about to fall over. We slowly opened the gate, and headed for the shrine. We all walked in the creepy crypt, and headed for the secret room. As we got to the secret room, we hoped that all the treasures were still there, but as always, the complete opposite happens: all the treasure was gone.

            “Damn it!” my sister said, breathing heavily.

            “We’re too late!” I added. Everything was gone.

            “I’m guessing they knew we found out…” my friend said. We didn’t know who did this, but we WERE going to find out. And that will be a story for another time.