Chapter Twenty-Four

Willow

The pack dismantled camp in a matter of hours. I stood back for minute as Locke and Denzel pulled the last boards from their tent. Yvonne told me earlier that they were working under precaution. They didn't want anyone running across the camp while we were gone.

            Everyone was planned to head into Zima. Even Xiang, who grinned in accomplishment when he insisted his coming along. Only to be shot down by Yvonne who told him he would stay with a witch friend.

            "We can't have you fighting under your condition," she told him, pressing a light hand on his shoulder. "I promise, you would be of more use on the sideline then the war front."

            We packed up bags of supplies and greater personal belongings, which were few. I'd discovered Kiley's unfinished book underneath her bed as we dismantled our tent this morning. Tears threatened, but I pushed them back.

            I kept the book in my own bag as if Kiley herself came along on our journey.

            "You have everything?" Ash asked, sidling up beside me.

            I glanced over at him where he struggled shoving a sword in a makeshift sheath. "Where did you manage to get that?"

            His bright eyes gazed up at me. "This? It belonged to the Black Knights. They left it behind."

            Even the sound of their name sense a rise through me. "And the sheath?"

            A singular corner of his lips quirked up. "I'm not all looks and charm, Willow. I have talents and abilities beyond what you imagine."

            "Including weaving?" I raised an eyebrow. "You know what, I give up. I give up on trying to predict you. You have proven yourself to be  far beyond the usual prince."

            He reached for my waist, his hand wanting but gentle all the same. "Now, you haven't spent night with any other prince, have you? Because I'm fair game with a sword, but trust me when I say that I can take a man down in a single breath."

            I slapped his hand away. "There's been no other. You very well know that. But as far as I'm concerned, just know that I'm a werewolf. No other girl could even be considered a problem."

            "So I should never cross you?"

            I smirked over at him. "She won't be the only one running for the hills."

            He rolled his eyes and chuckled, a deep, toe-curling sound. "We're potentially going to war and you're over here threatening all my nonexistent lovers. Willow Stanek, you are a beautiful, strange being."

            I put my hands on either side of his face and patted his cheeks playfully. "You're just saying that because you've seen me naked."

            "No, I'm saying it because it's true," he whispered, his lips nearly on mine.

            "Hey!" Locke called over. "You two love-birds! Cut it out and let's get moving!"

            I pulled my hands from Ash's face as he said, "Someone's a little moody today."

            I laced my fingers through his. "Believe me when I say that he has his reasons."

            Ash and I distanced ourselves if only a foot and followed the rest of the group on the trek back to Zima. The winter tried it's hardest to bite into us, but we wouldn't budge. Not Ash in his human skin. Not the rest of us in our wolf beings.