A First Date

Again, I'm unable to sleep. Images of Marco's face so close to mine, his long lashes fluttering in tune with mine as they closed, his lips as they brushed against mine, that little spark. 

I pound my fist into my silk pillows, hearing the deflation as it makes contact. Why did he have to be so kind, so civil? Why couldn't he be another asshole, another pig just looking for a piece of meat? 

Why did my heart have to jump as I kissed his cheek? 

And another question pushed in the back of my mind, as I continually attempted to push it back again and again, because it's too ridiculous. Why did Damon get so angry? 

I was just doing my job. Maybe he realized that I was attracted to Marco. Maybe he was jealous? That last maybe almost makes me snort out loud as I stand up from my bed, trudging over to my kitchen, pouring myself a large glass of wine. 

Fiona is already in the kitchen, having just gotten back from another job. 

"How was the gala, honey?" She asks absentmindedly as she pours herself a cup of tea. She spots the wine glass in my hand and rolls her eyes. 

"That bad, huh?" 

"Fiona, I have to ask you a question." She turns to look at me, sitting down on top of one of our bar stools, fluffing the robe over her shoulders. 

"Spill, young one." 

"Okay," I sit next to her, taking a large drink from my glass. "I have this assignment to get closer to this one guy, but he's not like the usual guys, I mean, he's rich, but he's not like.."

"He's hot." She nods, understanding instantly, but unsurprised. 

"It's not just that, he's..kind." 

She nods again, and smiles at me. 

"Sweetie, sometimes they're charmers, they're beautiful, just simply perfect. But we have to remember that there's a reason why we're hired to get their dirt. Even the most perfect men have huge flaws."

"But doesn't everyone?" I ask, sighing. 

"Sure, but in this line of work, we don't let emotions get in the way of a paycheck, it's just not in our nature. Do whatever you can to keep to the script, keep to the plan, and get the check." 

I nod, but I can still feel that unsure knot in my stomach. 

"And honestly, just enjoy the attention of a handsome man, those types come and go like seasons, so snatch up a bit of good weather while you can." She winks at me and whisks away to her room.

I know she's right, but I feel like a little school girl with stupid little crush. He wasn't what I expected. Even with Damon, I was able to be professional, to be polite and keep to the task at hand. I had expect Marco to just check me out, grab my ass, try to lure me into a dark bedroom. But I couldn't have expected that he actually..wanted to speak to me. 

Groaning, I drain the wine glass and plod back to my room, preparing for the tossing and turning ahead of me. 

"Oh, you look like hell." Fiona chuckles slightly as I move into the kitchen again the next morning, wrapped in my most comfortable robe with huge bags under my eyes. 

"Hush." I mutter, heading over to the coffee pot, pouring black coffee into the largest mug we have. 

"So, are you going out again tonight?" She asks, sipping on her tea and looking at me over the newspaper.